Enfield headspace issue

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by mountainman13, Jul 23, 2012.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

As you guys know I recently picked up an Enfield for $100. Well the extractor was beat and I reworked it. I still couldn't get it to extract a round. I assumed it was the burr in the chamber. I polished it out and the damn thing still won't extract a fired round. I finally smartened up and took a set of calipers to a fired and unfired round. The shoulder is off by .006!!!
    How much of a nightmare is it to headspace and Enfield? I'm about ready to pull the firing pin and call it a decoration.

2. 44magmike

44magmike New Member

I have a model 4 mark 1 enfield to fix your headspace problem you have to replace the bolthead.. It just unscrews from the bolt.. You probably need a #2 or 3 bolthead( they are stamped on the bolthead) if there is already a #3 on there then its a trip to the gun doctor.. You can get replacement boltheads from numrich or sarco.. If memory serves me right each increase in number size tightens up the headspace by .002 .. My rifle was spliting the case about a 1/2 above the rim.. Put a #2 bolthead on there and it fixed the problem.. Hope that helps

3. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

I assume it is a 303 which headspaces on the rim.
    If the actual headspace is actually ok; fireform your cases, then necksize only.
    Consider it a wildcat.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah that sounds like good news. It's a no 4 mk 1. The current bolt head is .631 if there was a number on it , its not legible anymore. I'll check numrich hopefully they list the dimensions on them.

5. 44magmike

44magmike New Member

Mountainman 13 .. Yeah it should be a number on that bolthead somewhere, im not home or id send you a pic of where its at on mine. The number was very small. If the bolthead is really loose on the boltthreads then it needs replaced.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol. I called numrich all they have in stock is a size zero which they said is .887 which would be .255 longer lol. Obviously didn't understand where I wanted them to measure from. Assuming they measured from the bottom of the threads to the face its about .002 bigger than mine. Figuring for a +/- .001 error on their end it just might work.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I shimmed the round .004 and round chambered just fine. I'll probably order the size 0 and hopefully the .002 difference will be enough to cut back on the stretching and allow me to cycle the damn thing. Thanks for the help guys.

8. vagunsmith

vagunsmith New Member

I have two heads in my shop. I can check those tomorrow evening and measure them.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The #2 and #3 bolt heads used to be quite available. I am surprised no one is making new replacements as many Enfields as there are.

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Cool let me know what you come up with thanks.

11. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, what causes Enfields to need the headspacing adjusted? Ive never heard of such problems with other rifles/ mil-surps... :confused:

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The locking lugs are in the rear. I think it is the steel of the bolt that gets hammered shorter with time.

13. 44magmike

44magmike New Member

Like what robocop 10mm said.. Heavy handloads doesnt help any either.. I found that out the hard way on my 1st enfield.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Dave- GREAT article! LOVED the "gnat's nacker"! And, as Robo said- the bolt design. Mausers lock up at the front, Enfields at the back.

15. teenahlake

teenahlake New Member

if you reload, put an oring on the base of the rim of your new cases prior to firing, then necksizeonly

16. vagunsmith

vagunsmith New Member

One bolt head measures .6280 in length and the other which is on a used rifle I have (parts case) measures .6335 in length

17. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Cool thanks. Looks like mine is right in the middle basically.