end of the world build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by TankTop, Aug 27, 2012.

1. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

My second post today as a total noob. I haven't even bought anything yet, but I would love for some people to share their ultimate builds just to drool over.

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

take a tip through the build threads in the AR section ;)

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Top of this section has more information than you can probably process in one sitting to be hoenst.

Dog and I subscribe to the theory that at least building you own lower and buying an assembled upper is going to teach you a LOT along the ways and will only serve you in cleaning and maint in the long run. ;)

JD

4. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

+1 But I suggest going one step further and building the entire rifle yourself. It is not hard and there are plenty of tutorials and advice here on how to do it. This forum inspired me to build my own and it was easy and well worth it. The good thing is you can buy the parts all at once or piece it together as your budget dictates.

What are you looking for your EOTW (End Of The World) rifle to do? Are you looking for something for close quarters so to speak or to reach out and touch something? What is your budget? There are alot of options depending on need.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Bravo Company midlength 16" BHF Upper on Bravo Company Lower, with MaTech buis, Trijicon 4x Acog green chevron on a Larue rco qd mount, blue force tac sling, magpul moe handguards, magpul acsl stock, surefire Qd FA762k suppressor attached with a Surefire Muzzle brake

[​IMG]

thats my shtf rifle

6. TankTop

I want something to be versatile, mostly range shooting, but if I hear more than one set of footsteps at 2am... In reality I want it to be a tactical weapon, hopefully never have to use it that way.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Nothing beats a good old 12ga pump shotgun for those 2am goblin visits...

8. TankTop

Agreed, for one intruder I'm with you. I'm still trying to get my wife to let me fire a shotgun in the living room at 2am. I want to know how long it takes to get my hearing and sight back... I think a pistol would be great too, but panicked where are my follow up shots going? I also understand a 223 may irritate the neighbors.
    Recently I watched a wildfire burn a nice little part of my city and thirty thousand people displaced from their homes. Our city handled it well, but what if the next disaster is bigger and longer?

9. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Oohhh i made the mistake of walking into an indoor range without my ears on first. A 12ga went off in the lane next to me. Daaaaamn. I went home and was mostly deaf for about 25mins. Shouldn't be as bad in a standard living room. As for muzzle flash, your eyes will be shocked, you will be able to "see" immediately, it will take time for your eyes to readjust to the dark.

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I also subscribe to this doctrine. I think the hard part (and the one that most people screw up) is "designing" an upper in your mind that actually fits your requirements. From there it's fairly easy to buy a quality factory upper built to the same specs so I can't see building one yourself unless you just have to do every last thing yourself or your perfect upper isn't available.

Now building up a stripped lower, that's fairly easy and can save some money. Again though, you do want to have it figured out before buying willy nilly.

And for a nicely designed SHTF rifle, JonM's above is hard to beat!

11. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

This thread has changed flavors.
    'End Of The World BUILD' can mean several things.
    The most extreme accuracy.
    The most extreme options mounted.
    Most functional, for SHTF needs and use.

For the first selection, long/longer heavy barrels add weight, stability, greater velocity possibilities but not necessarily any better accuracy. (Longer sighing radius with iron sight not included, think scopes/optical sights.) I have one with a heavy 20 inch stainless tube, I don't relish the thoughts of carrying it about while hunting. It will still make one ragged hole with 30 rounds at a hundred yards if I do my part.

The next, I don't do SBR, suppressed and after too many years as a cop, don't like/want a target lit up on or near me, so no mounted lights for me. I do have a thing about having two sighting means available. I have a regular scope AND a red dot mounted on one weapon, but no irons.

The last listing from above. Less is more or better. Less to break, go bad, fail, need batteries. Lighter weight weapon equates to more ammo can be carried. For me, I'm too old and broken to contemplate being 'on the run', so mobility holds little weight for me.

There are many threads displaying a great realm of weapons and configurations. Extreme is just that. I prefer simple and functional.

12. TankTop

My personal opinion is that if SHTF I want something rugged, reliable and accurate to a decent distance to use if necessary while order is being restored. Reaching out to touch someone sounds like it's really all over and I need prayer and a little luck more than a good weapon!

From what I'm reading from people here is that at least a lower build is in my future. So let's start with a quality stripped lower receiver. T6 aluminum of course, past that are there major differences between manufacturers? $100 vs $250,remington vs NATO and does that even matter at this point?

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If you can find one I might suggest a Aero Precision or a Surplus Arms stripped lower. They seem to be the cheapest price of any alum stripped lower , IF you can find one in stock . I would say PSA but they jumped their price to $99.95 last week .
    Thats a good start , then you need to ask yourself , what length barrel , what caliber , that optics if any , what what what . so much to choose from it will make your head spin , so what I have done is every time I think man I should have went this route instead , I just start another build ;) that was the easiest solution

14. TankTop

What about pin size, seems these black guns aren't so universal? Is one more standard than the others?

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Small pin is most universal. The large pin belong to some of the colt stuff

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Just about everything in the AR-15 world today is uniform and plays well together.

When you read about pin size they are talking about the difference between the current standard of .154" instead of the time back in the 70's or so when Colt (head in *** again) tried to make their stuff proprietary with pins measuring .171"

Not much of a diffence, until you try to to fit it. ;)

These days all the new stuff is pretty uniform. No so on the AR-10 stuff, but for the AR-15 you should be good.

17. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

Here you go, the best end of the world build.

[​IMG]

18. PC167

PC167 New Member

I built my ar using Armalite lower, Yankee Hill machine upper (yhm) fluted barrel with quad rails, Magpul flip up sights, UTG flashlight and red/green dot scope and DPMS rear adjustable stock. This should do the job.

ForumRunner_20120830_100224.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  19. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Um. I think ur front sight is on backwards. But honestly it should works both ways so if its zeroed no harm leaving it the way it is.

20. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Def backwards.