End of Days Vehicle: Gasoline? Or Diesel?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

We used to have a thread on this sort of thing, but it was a couple of years ago and I think it went into lock down over a "Jeep thing" back and forth between a couple of knuckleheads that are no longer with us.

So you have a monthly stipend that you have decided to spend on building a SHTF, get-away, End of Days vehicle. This has to be a "public can buy it" vehicle purchase that isn't already done up with armor and run flat tires and air filtration and all that crap.

It's a project vehicle. Let's say it's a 12 month project, but you aren't afraid to take a 3 or 4 year loan on the initial investment to purchase, but you want to have say over what gets installed, and by who.

First question: Gas or Diesel? And why?

Now I have a buddy who will only buy diesel rigs. He does something to the engines and is able to run them on heating oil or something that he has delivered to his house once every three months, so he is never concerned with finding diesel fuel to "buy" when he is out and about. He's got some big monster tank, waits for the best price, buys in bulk and goes on his merry way. Claims it's the only way to go, diesel won't burn as easily, doesn't explode without a serious pre-explosion, the engines produce more torque, run in worse weather, blah, blah, blah.

What I don't know about engines can ALMOST be shoe-horned into the Grand Friggin Canyon, so please don't assume I will have any idea what you are talking about when you copy and paste something from a tech manual. :eek:

So, we know Space Zombies are going to bring it in 12 months, Team FTF has to build, on a money allowance, our SHTF, when it's time to go, it's time to GO vehicle.

Serious thoughts?? And can we keep the big dump truck photos and the Cat 180 excavators out of the equation please?

Ready, set, build....

JD

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I have never owned diesel, but I think it's the way to go. There are other fuels that it can run, like Biodiesel, Kerosene and I think you can even burn jet fuel.

That's about all I have for now. I was a great carpenter, but I'm a lousy mechanic.

3. jca1

jca1 New Member

I'd start with a 1980's F350 4x4 truck or box van etc. w/ 460 or 429 v-8 converted to LP. There are LP plants and filling stations all over creation that can be used to refill, the fuel does not go bad and it could even be refilled (to some degree) off the LP tank in peoples yards.

4. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Having just entered into the diesel realm, I would go this route. I never plan on buying another gas truck again. The diesels last longer and can tow more. If SHTF, I would think diesel would be easier to obtain because it is not as refined as gas.

I would be interested in hearing more about what steps your friend took to run his truck on heating oil.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Interesting concept jca1. Would the LP conversion be able to pass current emissions inspections as this would be done to an older vehicle and would NO DOUBT be subject to such problems.

6. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

If SHTF emissions inspections would not be an issue.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Agreed. Missing the point however. We are buying this vehicle NOW, with a 12 month build plan for the eventual SHTF situation. Therefor, we would need it to be legal in the meantime.

Diesel? Gas? LP conversion?

8. jca1

jca1 New Member

It would not be terribly difficult to find a 80's model LP service truck already converted and rebuild it or simply do it in your garage while no one is looking. No one will care about smog after the aliens arrive. I have catalogs where I could order everything needed to convert as these parts are still readily available to repair existing installations.

9. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Stick with the deisel. You could probably render the fat from the space zombies (assuming they have body fat) and use it as additional fuel! :D

Won't LP go boom, say if you were under fire?

10. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

One more vote for diesel. Many more ways to convert to accept alternative fuels. A dually crew cab would be best for towing, pushing, hauling, mounting a Ma Deuce, transportation, etc, etc. Brush guard is a definite. Manufacture window cages now and just allow for easy install when the SHTF.

11. jca1

jca1 New Member

Well it's possible but no more a threat than the artillery on board really. It is a very volatile fuel if "unleashed" but it's also very safe. Shielding the tank should pose no more difficulty than shielding the driver/passenger/cargo.

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I'd have to do more research but I think gasoline. It's more likely to run on ethanol and that will be available to those who know how to make it.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As far as Diesel Fuel #2, and #2 Heating Oil- close, but no cigar. Read and expand your knowledge- and learn terms like Cetane.

Flash Off-Road Diesel Fuel Articles

Now, in an emergency, if I had a diesel vehicle, and no access to DF2, I WOULD run #2 Fuel Oil- or Kero, or Jet A, or JP4, or Coleman Lantern Fluid. Do NOT expect your engine to last if you do that. Those are missing things you need.

In non-emergency times, OFF ROAD diesel and heating oil has a dye added- you paid no highway use taxes. You do NOT want to get caught with off-road fuel in an on-road vehicle. You tax dodger, you. Say, who WAS it that finally put Al Capone in the slammer?

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

^^^^

I don't own a diesel. I have never purchased one. I drove (3) in my days in various forms of service to the broadband community. All of them sucked in my opinion, but they were 550 series and had a ton of extra weight on each chassis.

I'm looking at a SHTF project vehicle. I have been thinking diesel, so I am looking for facts.

Beyond that I have designs on what I would outfit it with based on my existing gun safe (I had designs on adding the "you have any heavy metal?" scene in From Paris With Love in the Audi) ....

Suffice to say, this is a thread of a couple that I will be using to gain info for future "work"....

JD

15. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Some other things to consider besides engine type.
    1. Are you going to use it off road?
    2. What caused SHTF to happen?

If you want to use it off road I'd stay with a short wheel base vehicle.
    If SHTF was because of some type of EMP weapon then you also need to stay away from vehicles that use computers to run. Even modern diesels use computers.

16. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

17. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Do you have any experience working on gas engines? Besides the engine itself I would consider maintenance and although diesels are more durable, if you don't know how to work on one a minor problem might keep it offline where a similarly small problem in a gasoline engine might be an easy fix for you. It all depends on your experience I guess.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

horse is a perfect shtf vehicle. self feeding and capable of pulling wagons sledges or plows.

19. NOVA

NOVA New Member

Fuel Storage

After y'all figure out what you want to do you might want to decide how to store all the fuel after the SHTF. I like what James Lesley, Rawles has to say about it in his book Patriots, Ulysses Press. Page 59 through 60 Later on in the book one of the characters describes how they use vegetable oil added to the diesel and the the best part is he describes the setup for a "...full size diesel pickup with a big extra tank in the bed, right behind the cab...the tank was L-shaped so that most of it went underneath a cross-bed tool box..."(page 123). If you read the acknowlegdements you see that Rawles consulted with several experts to write this story - it's like a survivalist' bible. Great reference book.

20. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Older gasoline 4X4, like a Land Rover Series or Jeep. No electronic ignition, carry spare plugs, points and condenser. Must have a mechanical fuel pump, generator, and mechanical voltage regulator. Gasoline will be available for many years in abandoned vehicles, remote service stations, and your own reserves. Buy several bottles of good fuel preservative, like StaBil and a good supply of fuel line filters. Have at least 6 changes of oil filters and engine oil to do the job, but; I expect that the oil would be available following SHTF as people will be more interested in boosting the local liquor store, grocery and electronics shop (even though the electronics won't work)!

Gasoline for me!