EMP or Aegis?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Mr. Bluesky, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Between the Springfield Armory EMP 9mm and the Kimber Aegis II 9mm, which do you folks prefer and why? The price and features are pretty much the same (The Springfield carries 1 more round and has an ambi safety, neither of which is strictly necessary for me), and both are, as far as I can tell, 1911's designed around the 9mm rather than adapted.

And yes, I'm very sorry about the round, but learning to shoot .45 would cost me the amount of the gun all over again, and I'm a starving college student. My first Christmas bonus when I get a job is going straight into a real 1911, I promise. =P

2. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Para Ordinance Warthog
    Para Ordnance Warthog Pistol 45 ACP

Kimber Aegis II Ultra $1100 8+1 9mm
    Springfield EMP $1200 9+1 9mm

Para Ordinance Warthog $800 10+1 45acp

cheaper, more rounds, and its a 45

Attached Files:

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'd probably pick the springfield over the two. I just like the emp's better. :)

4. jca1

jca1 New Member

Springfield

5. Texgunner

Texgunner Member

I'd go for the EMP.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I've never had any Kimbers, but I had two Springers, a Mil Spec and a 9mm EMP. I liked the EMP a bunch and it was a handsome pistol as well.

The only thing I didn't care for was having to use the clippy thing on the recoil spring to field strip the pistol.

7. JJAMISON

JJAMISON New Member

for a starving college student that is a lot of dough to drop for a kimber or springfield. get the Para! I have owned a Para 14-45 for over 8 years and absolutely love the thing. they shoot like a dream!

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

In my opinion the Springfield is the better built weapon between the twp thew OP listed. Though the Para is a very nice weapon as well I'm not sure it's better than the Springer. But it is a a 45.

Sticking with the OPs choices though the decision is easy. But admittedly I am no fan of anything Kimber has made.

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Seems like a lot of money to spend on a 9mm to me. Get a quality 9mm and keep the rest of the money in a fund for a real 1911 is what I'd do. I've owned 1911s in other calibers before and they just aren't the same as a real .45 so I no longer have any. All of my .45s are 1911s and the rest of my non-.45s are mostly Sigs and I'm pretty happy with the 2 platforms.

If you must - I'd go with the EMP as I prefer Springer to Kimber...

10. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

While I can't attest to 1911's not being as good in other calibers because I've never shot them, that seems like an awful lot to spend for a carry 9mm. If I were you, I would take a hard look at the CZ 2075 RAMI. I've never shot one, but I've held it and it feels nice in my hands, and I own the SP-01, which is a full size by CZ and it's an amazing pistol. You could get one of these, a case of ammo, a few trips to the range to familiarize yourself with it, and still be WAY under the price of either of the two mentioned.

Thats just my two cents.

-Fred

11. JJAMISON

JJAMISON New Member

Buds Gun Shop had some sweet deals on used pistols. lots of para stuff. basically new just "display" guns.

12. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Various family members are pitching in for the gun itself, as a combination Christmas and "you-didn't-flunk-all-your-classes-and-lose-your-scholarship" gift, so I can afford to get something nice. I'll be paying for ammo myself, and 9mm is by far cheaper than .45, not to mention it won't take me as long to adjust to a new round. Hence, the EMP over a Rock Island or Para.

13. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

Unless they have changed there finish in the last year, ... Para's black finish starts coming off as soon as you put it in a holster. It is the worst finish I have ever seen on a gun. By no way does it affect the function of the gun but it sucks. If your going to buy a Para buy a stainless.

14. JJAMISON

JJAMISON New Member

this is so true. I have a LDA 14-45 that looked llike it was 10 years old after the first range trip.

OP,
    Since you are looking at 9mm. Why not a Kahr or something along those lines?

15. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Of the two you asked about I'd go with the EMP. They are very cool.

But STI offers the LS9, and it is very sweet (I have one). It is ultra thin, so makes for a great CCW. And it is still a 1911 derivative.

Also, as JJ mentioned, the Kahr pistols are excellent and great for CC.

16. Gloves

Gloves New Member

That Warthog sure looks awesome. But i couldn't bring myself to buy it. I bought a full
    size kimber custom II for $700 new. I sure would love to have that little guy as a secondary if it were just a little cheaper.

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Funny about that Black Para finish..I have the LTC that I've carried for a few years now. It has some wear up by the muzzle and that's about it. Same with the Companion my friend carries. It's the Blackwatch though. Both where bought about the same time give or take a month.

I will only say a,bout Para one thing...Look for used ones. I see displays from time to time at buds. But you don't see a lot in shops or even gunbroker. Must be doing something right. The only used one I've seen around here I bought. It's a P16. Outstanding weapon to say the least. :)