EMP 9mm chamber size

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Brad_CCW, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I got a EMP 9mm about a month ago. Shoots great with factory ammo. Shoots reloads too, except at least one round per mag doesn't want to seat fully and will get stuck in the chamber.

These reloads shoot in 3 other 9mm that I own with no issues at all. But I noticed that my sizing die doesn't quite make it all the way down, so I ordered Lyman bullet seating gauge and all the rounds drop into it just fine. So it seems like the mouth of the EMP is a little tighter than it should be. Has anyone else had this experience?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Anybody at all?

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

It may not be your chamber. It can be extractor tension and the case rim size of the brass you are using. The EMP is a pretty short pistol, and can be a bit more finiky on ammo and feeding than most full sized pistols anyway.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

It works great with factory, but 75% with reloads?

Sounds like it works as designed. I would go back to checking the reloads.

5. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

The rounds wont chamber fully. The extractor hangs on plenty tight when I try to eject the live round. I just cant pull the slide back.

I would agree except I have 3 other guns that work great and a casing gauge that all say otherwise.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  6. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I just noticed my .40 EMP does the sane thing but only 2% so far. And these may have been out of spec. I dont have a .40 casing gauge.

I'm thinking if I only reload brass fired from the EMP it might help.

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I don't remember which of my pistols I experienced this with, but the last round would fail about 50% of the time. It turned out to be a magazine issue. Swapped out the magazines, and the problem was solved.

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

It sounds like the exact same thing happened to me regarding my 9mm replace in my M&P. I was advised to check my crimp. I'll link to the thread. Maybe it will help you.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/trouble-paradise-reloads-98215/

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

On a 1911 extractor, the tension becomes important to both feeding and extraction. If the extractor is too tight the slide return spring is having to fight even harder to feed a round into the chamber because the rim of the round is being squeezed as it slides up the breech face and up under the extractor hook.
    Shorter 1911s are already working a little harder with less leverage and momentum for feeding, so they can be more sensitive to this problem. If you are getting sticky extraction though, then you may be right, that there could be a chamber problem. Shorter 1911s can also be a bit more sensitive to chamber fouling and extraction/ejection, because of the stiffer springing that is often used in them.

Troubleshooting a 1911 often involves looking at both sides of the balance in feeding and ejection. Best of luck. If you can't identify the problem, then calling Springfield is another good option.

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

I would recommend avoiding telling Springfield you're shooting reloads though, OP. With some companies I've heard that can void the warranty. I don't know if this is true of Springfield.

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I would say to crank down on your crimp die another 1/4 turn. See how that works for you.

12. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I think I can rule out the mag and extractor since these particular rounds will not fully seat in the barrel even if I remove it from the gun. But again, they look great when I check them with a gauge.

I considered a tighter crimp might help but I've noticed if I crimp any tighter the bullet seater leaves a ring around the top of the bullet. I wasnt sure if that would cause any problems.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

How hot are the reloads? Light loads can cause some issues with tight guns. Slide does not cycle all the way.

I am betting it is a crimp issue. Are you using mixed headstamps? A variance in length will cause a variance in crimp and can cause this issue

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

1. Bullet seating depth. I tend to run mine toward the long end of OAL. This is great until the bullet hits rifling before the cartridge is fully seated. You may need to seat a bit deeper. Some bullet designs are more of an issue than others. Use your barrel as a cartridge gauge when working up loads for your EMP and you should be able to work through this without further drama. However, always be mindful of your Min OAL.
    2. Crimping? 9 mm doesn't need much. An ever so slight taper is enough. FWIW, more than that is just adding wear on the case mouth. Unless it's totally hosed one way or the other, this is probably not the problem.
    3. Other Brass issues? If your cartridge gauge is working, there probably isn't much chance that this is the problem. However, a Lee Factory Crimp Die might be worth looking into to down the road. It's more of an insurance policy than a requirement.
    4. Extractor? If, as you say, factory ammo is working brilliantly, then your extractor is probably fine.

15. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I'm only using one type of bullet. FNP I think. I'll try adjusting the OAL just for kicks but I don't see any marks on the bullet when I extract the jammed rounds. Just near the base of the casing. The part my sizing die can't reach.

16. danf_fl

What brand of reloading dies are you using?

Reloading equipment is like firearms. The inexpensive may get the job done, but there are trade-offs.

17. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I'm using Hornady. It's just that last bit of the casing that the die can't reach that's casing the problem. I have some RCBS dies that don't seem to reach any farther.

18. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

I have seen the same issue and used the same fix as Overkill mentioned.

The wife shoots a Sig P238 which is just a baby 1911. I found that I had to seat the bullets a little deeper than my original setting, which was in spec based on COL range listed. I finally went down to .002 over min COL and all the failure to chamber problems went away.

Can't guarantee that will fix you issue, but it worked for me.:D

19. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Well I finally got some calipers and did some testing. Turns out if the base of the case is over 9.9mm then they wont feed and get stuck in the barrel. Most of my rounds are 9.87mm at the base, but maybe 20% are 9.93 or so.

20. danf_fl

Glad you found it and got back with us.