Emergency Water Storage

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by CA357, Dec 9, 2009.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Great Idea...Wish I'd thought of it!! :(

3. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

but it's not filtered... we live in california!! Have you seen our water reports... wow. But still a badazz thingy to have.

4. Old Sarge

Old Sarge New Member

Water Bob

The only bad thing about the whole mess is: we live in the Ozark Mountains, and never know when power is going out. It can be very fickle at times. If we had a spare bathtub, problem would be solved. :D

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I may have to pick one of these up.

6. CA357

Well, all things considered, I'd rather have them than not have them. When it comes to some things in life, I'm a belt and suspenders guy. ;)

Remember, three is two, two is one and one is none.

7. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

That thing will also take you on your first trip to Tijuana if you can't decontaminate the water it holds. Hell, even then you're betting that you won't ingest chunks of lead-laden plastic that the Chinese "workers" used to build it.
    Scrub your tub with bleach, fill it, then boil everything you remove for consumption and forget the bag.

8. shirt001

shirt001 New Member

9. CA357

I have no idea if it's for real or not. It sounds good, but so does converting lead into gold. ;)

10. Hoplophile

Hoplophile New Member

Looks like it's basically a glorified dehumidifier that filters and cleans condensed water vapor from the air. The specifications say it consumes approximately 1000 Watts and produces 7 gallons of water a day. Of course, if you live in a dry or cold climate where the humidity is less than 35%, output drops to less than 2 gallons a day.

Imagine running ten 100 Watt light bulbs around the clock and getting (at best) 7 gallons of water daily in return. That's gonna be some expensive water.

In a no-power emergency, this thing would be next to useless.

11. shirt001

shirt001 New Member

Well, here are the specs.

Operation Power
    EB28: 450-500W EB30: 250-450W
    i think this would save your ass in a bad situation. You can also use solar and wind. Don't be so quick to write things off just because you haven't heard of something before. I would still have my other sources, but this is worth looking into.

12. CA357

'Bout time for another bump for the newer folks. :cool:

13. rvaducks

rvaducks New Member

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well. No, not a delay- what works for me is my well. I have a bucket and rope w/ pulley for days of no power. No filtration needed- working thru sand, clay and rock do that naturally. Have considered picking up a pitcher hand pump "just in case", but bucket works.

For folks that do not have a well, remember you have some emergency water in your water heater. Turn off the power/gas, attach a hose to the drain cock at the bottom, open a hot water faucet to admit air, turn the valve at the bottom. You should do this at least once a year anyway to clear sand/sediment that builds up there normally.

15. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

That water bob isnt a bad idea, even if you dont use a bathtub you could throw together a tub sized box made of plywood, could even put it in the back of your truck. Like CA said rather have em than not, they're on my next order.

16. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Hard to imagine having electricity and NOT being able to find water. Just sayin'.....

17. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

Could be useful, but the only thing about the 'tub bladder is that if a storm or earthquake unexpectedly hits it would not be immediately useable since the infrastructure might be gone before you would know that you should start storing.

I suppose it could be filled from other sources, but then why not just have jugs/barrels. Not a bad idea, but I wouldn't rely on it as my one hope for water. I would still boil/sterilize the water stored in it also.

A possible supplement to this bladder would be the Berkey Filter! -I saw this in another thread, so yes, I am stealing someones thunder :( -
    I lost the website, but here's the title - google it and it should bring the site up.

*Home Made Berkey Water Filter*
    By: Daire
    22 January 2008

You can make a water cooler and storage tank for about $7!

18. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

Yes, it brings you to the site on google.

just search the whole title.

*Home Made Berkey Water Filter*
    By: Daire
    22 January 2008

It still isn't a source of water, but it will purify anything that you can get into it.

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Pretty neat. WE have a ton of springs around here. There's a few within 200 yards of my house. It's where I get a lot of my drinking water now. I figure if it was good enough for the houses that stood here many years ago it will do fine for me.

20. CA357