Emergency surgical kit

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Scratchammo, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Anyone got a good recommendation on one of those?

2. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

Trauma care?

I don't know about surgery, but there are some field care manuals that list equipment for different environments. For example, a camping first aid kit may include things such as wound gel and finger splints. A trauma kit where you can expect medical personnel in 15 minutes would be different than one where you can expect no such expertise. I can do CPR and basic first aid, but would never attempt a chest drain. The kit is somewhat customized to the environment, but if you expect ballistic trauma then I'd say all bets are off unless you are trained. I'm not. :D

What is the goal?

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

You can find pre-stocked kits numerous places on line with what most would need, including hemostats, scalpels and a small assortment of various sutures, dressings, splints, etc., or you can buy one stocked and add more trauma surgical items and supplies, to individually customize your own surgical kit, based on your level of medical training, skills and experience.

Antibiotics, various sizes of catheters, needles and syringes can be found at most farm and ranch co-ops and feed stores. Any antibiotics and pharmaceuticals purchased for animal use is fine for human use, but they need to be diluted in strength and/or dosage. IV solutions can be purchased as well, but may be a little harder to get access to.

4. Seven

Seven New Member

Watch where you get your sutures from.
    A lot of on-line stores sell out-of-date supplies. It has something to do with laws which I'm not clear on. My wife had to call one company from the dr. office she works for to order mine.

Read up on the different types of sutures and needles and their different uses.

They cost a little more but the sutures with the needle already attached would be a lot handier. imo. Here's what I ended up with as my "trauma kit"...

[​IMG]

I found a MOLLE gas mask bag on-line to attach it to my bag. My FAK is in my bag, but I thought I'd want my "trauma kit" in easy reach.

[​IMG]

Since that picture was taken, I've added some more gauze, a CPR face shield and taken a few EMT classes at the local college and spent quite a bit of time talking to the doctor my wife works for.

5. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Mine FWIW

[​IMG]

Theres a small splint, trach tube, web adjustable tourniquet and a few other goodies in mine, but even with EMTB and some practical trauma experience I don't feel qualified to open anybody up.

I recommend also to throw in a recent edition of the Special Forces Medical Handbook, if you can get hold of one, which is the most complete and concise EM field manual I've seen. Deals with just about anything you are likely to encounter and includes NBC/veterinary/sanitary/dental/meat prep, whatever

6. Seven

Seven New Member

Nice kit! And...

... x2. My kit isn't for surgery it's just to close cuts, etc.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

If you are a supporting member you can get 50% off of Adventure medical kits through the epic promotive.com. They have some HIGH quality kits that will have everything you need.

Survival Kits

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

For field expedient sutures I would tell you to go to walmart get superglue and some butterfly bandaids. That is all you will need and it sure beats the hell out of having to replace suture material all the time as it expires.

If you just must have suture material I would get 2-0 and 3-0 Vicryl and Ethilon with a needle attached.

Vicryl is an absorbable and Ethilon is a nonabsorbable.

I must caution it is not recommended to close any open wound in the field as you are doing nothing but trapping dead or dying tissue and germs in the wounds that will cause it to become infected. That is unless if you don't close it the person will die.

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

You can buy swabs which have tincture of benzoin on Amazon. They will glue skin together. I do have a suture kit, but since I have no idea how to suture, I hope tape and glue will do me just fine.

My father-in-law is a doctor. He recently wrote me prescriptions for:

Amoxicillin (30-500mg)
    Erythromycin EC (28-350mg)
    Septra (SMZ-TMP DS) (20-800mg)
    Keflex (cephalexin) (28-250mg)
    Tetracycline (60-500mg)
    Gentamicin (5ml)

I am able to buy these at Walmart for $4 each, no insurance required. I do want to replace them every couple of years, but these antibiotics will fix just about everything.

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

But you still have to have a prescription for those, right Chris?

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Yep, each time I will replace them to get fresh meds, I will need to have him write me a new prescription. There are no legal or ethical problems with this plan, either, so any doctor may be willing to help you out with this.

Just don't expect your insurance to cover prophylactic antibiotics (meaning you're not currently sick...) like this. Thank God for Walmart.

12. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Thanks for all the advice. Now comes a very strange question, what about searing it shut?

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Do you know the origins of Super Glue. ;)

14. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Lol actually I do. The problem I encountered was the super glue wouldn't stop the bleeding of a knife wound.

15. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

1) Stop the bleeding
    2) Clean the wound

and then

3) Close the wound, if necessary

You don't use skin adhesive like a ziploc. The blood will just go somewhere else unless the source of the bleeding is stopped.

Cauterization makes me think of Misery, the Stephen King book, not the Cathy Bates movie. Oh, you dirty bird.

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Depending on the wound, you need to close the wound with butterfly type suctures, add the super glue and then pack with gauze and pressure. As long as the knife wound isnt deep enough to sever internal organs, you are okay.

If it nicks internal organs , than you are 100% Correct that basic first aid isn't going to do dick to save your patient.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  17. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Thanks y'all. I'll add those to my shopping list.

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Cauterizing if you want to do that can be done with silver nitrate. Amazon.com: Silver Nitrate Applicators - Tube 100: Health & Personal Care

For bleeding that can't be stopped with pressure your best bet is to use quickclot. That stuff is AMAZING as stopping bleeding. That is unless it is a very deep wound then you should just check his or her wallet take all the cash and just leave them alone.

ZMedica - QuikClot® adsorbent hemostatic agent for healthcare providers speeds coagulation & rapidly stops blood loss: Z-Medica Corporation

With quick clot there is no need to be BURNING someone with a hot damn stick unless you are an azzhole.

19. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Very good info. While we're on the subject, what would I use to extract a bullet?

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Nothing really. If it is not endangering ones life and it is not a SHTF there are no medical services around. I am going to stabilize the injured person and seek medical help.

Bullets cause a LOT of damage and I am not skilled enough to go diggin around in someones chest or abdomen looking for a bullet. It is not as easy as it looks on ER.

Though good quality foreceps and needle holders can be had on Ebay.

forceps items - Get great deals on Business Industrial, Sporting Goods items on eBay.com!

needle holders items - Get great deals on Business Industrial, Crafts items on eBay.com!

But Tango they look the same to me.

Forceps are for holding tissue and grabbing things.

Needle holders have stiffer noses and are made for gripping and holding small suture needles. If you have sutures you MUST have needle holders or else your sutures are worthless. Also I would get the ones with the built in scissors it makes like much easier.

I do know how to suture but, it has been a long time since I have done some.