Elmer is gonna get it!!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Gus556, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

The nights are getting cold. Frost is widespread in the mornings when I depart for work. It is getting to be perfect. Whitetail season is here once again. And with the new season here, it is time to play our yearly game, where is elmer?
    Elmer is a beautiflully semetrical 14 point buck. While you can easily watch elmer all summer long and he has developed a beautiful rack, he is now getting harder to spot. Elmer knows the hunt is on.
    This year I have the perfect blind. It is set up near the crossroads of a deer interstate system that has obvious heavy traffic by large deer. Due to varying degrees of depth, size of tracks, and sheer number, one would never be able to gain an accurate count. Droppings (fresh and old) line the trails. The blind is a wonderful masterpiece of hidden hunting. I utilize overlapping canvass to allow both concealed sitting and standing. Horizontal lengths of wood give me a solid point to rest the rifle for longer narrow range shots.
    I am situated within woods that are heavy on mature hickory, oak, and beech trees. Surrounding the 210 acre woods is a wonderful array of timothy hay fields, clover fields, corn fields, and regular ole hay fields. Dairy, horse, and alpaca farms are the norm in this area.
    From the blind it is about 200' down to the watershed that is in some thicker cover so the deer love that place to get a safe drink. From there they like to go up to the "honey hole". That is about a 100 yard x 500 yards thick heavy brush that the deer like to hide in. We do not allow any game to be taken from there. The point is to have a completely safe zone (even from yourself). This way when deer on the mountain are getting heat from other hunters, they migrate to the honey hole. This has kept our heards very healthy and plentiful. The blind is situated about 10 yards off the main trail between these spots.
    Elmer, your days are numbered. Gus is locked and loaded....ready for deer!!!

How are your preperations/hunts going?

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Mine are going great so far. I've only spend 2 days in the woods but bagged my first with a bow. heading back out this weekend I think. I'll let you know what happens.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

CONGRATS rusty! You've already got a deer with that alpine?? That's great!

Gus-it sounds like you have a plan-now the trick will be to NOT let them scent you in the blind or coming/going from the blind.

4. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

The prominent wind is to my face......just perfect.

5. spittinfire

Did you miss that thread? Yeah, dropped her about 2 weeks ago. I'm heading out on Saturday for another go at it. Should be in the middle of the rut so it should be exciting!

6. divinginn

divinginn Member

Going tomorrow,freezer is empty. Good luck with Elmer.

7. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

UPDATE: Well, ole elmer has eluded us once again. There is still time.
    I did bag a small buck so there is venison in the freezer. Kinda shameful shootin a small deer but I had iron sights, it was late afternoon, and it was an uphill shot. Bad excuses I know but what the hell, it is still food and I will make some great canned meat and jerked meat out of it.
    Now I can be picky and harvest a worthy creature next time.

8. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

i have only been out hunting one time this year, and I didnt see so much as a squirrel or a bird. nothing at all.

9. spittinfire

Went out Wednesday and a half day yesterday with no luck. They ate all my corn and apples I put out on Tuesday so I know their coming, I just forgot to arrange the meeting. Heading back out today around 10ish to try a mid day/afternoon hunt.

10. Walley

Walley New Member

We have had a large buck hanging around in the grove around our farmstead for the last five years. He is a 14 pointer and appears to be a hell of a lot smarter than I am. All year long we see him about every day of the week but when the season opens he becomes invisible. In the week between the regular firearm season and the black powder season he comes out and acts like he is defying me. Truth be known in my old age I am getting softer and don’t really think I could shoot him if I had the chance. Kind of like shooting an old friend. Eating the old goat would most likely be like chewing on your shoe.