Elle article on guns in LA, kind of funny

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Marthor, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Marthor

Marthor New Member

On foxnews.com website they had a link that took me to this article. I believe that Elle is some kind of girlie magazine, so this was written to that audience. I think it's an interesting look at the most "ignorant" part of the population that doesn't know anything about guns and shows what their first exposure to guns is like in a positive way...

http://www.elle.com/Life-Love/Society-Career-Power/Should-I-Buy-a-Gun

You've got to read the whole thing from the link. She takes a safety class...

2. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Yeah, most people that get a chance to shoot find out that they either kinda like it or love it.

The folks that are rabid anti gun usually fall into a few groups.

1. Men who lacked a father figure who would take the time to teach their son how to shoot, and being anti gun is their way to rebel against their father.

2. Women that hate men because they see men as the competition. These women were probably shunned by a guy at some time in life, maybe by their father, or maybe they were ignored by their mom while she chased some guy or guys. These women want to deny men things they know most guys (except those in 1 above) enjoy.

3. Idiots that don't have sufficient analytical capabilities to think critically. These folks don't understand the importance of the Bill of Rights to our society.

4. Folks that have lost someone close as a result of a gunshot. This is a small group, and perhaps the only one of the groups that deserve to at least be paid attention to out of respect for their loss.

There's probably a few sub groups too that I missed, but these groups at least define a good chunk of the anti gun crowd.

3. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I don't have to save them :D

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

jeeper, pretty good analysis! i do agree, groups 1 and 2 have emotional hangups, and probably don't need a gun in the first place as they would either hurt themselves or others. group 3, just misinformed idiots, who listen and watch all the misinformation about firearms on the news and take it as the gospel, they are hopeless and believe if it's in the media, it must true. group 4, this group i can relate to, as many years ago, i had a girlfriend, whose brother was paralyzed from the waist down from a gunshot he recieved when a store he was in was robbed. she had a death fear of guns. i understood her fear, and through time, we did get to the point of her not having a panic attack when she saw a firearm.

scratch, some of them can't be saved from themselves, not any use trying!

5. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

My wife was the same way. She grew up in IL for half of her life with extremely liberal parents who taught her guns are bad and people who own guns are bad unless they are police, etc, etc. Today my wife loves shooting. Her favorite to shoot is my SKS and the P-32 Kel-Tec . I know get a lot of enjoyment out of showing off my latest guns when the in-laws come over for a visit :D I think firearms are becoming a lot more accepted due to some of the shows that have come out lately (even though you may not like the show) they have had an impact IMO. Nonetheless, I thought it was a decent article from anti gun liberal.

6. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

Seems like liberals are against private citizens having firearms but have no problem with police and the military being armed. I bet that the average IQ test of a gun owner is higher than a anti gunner reason being it seems like gun owners can read and comprehend the constitution and the reasoning behind the second amendment and liberals can't.

7. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Yeah, agree on #4. Those folks have a reason for their position and feelings...it may not be rationale, but due to their loss, it's understandable.

The more folks we as enthusiasts get to the range the better, as most, once they shoot, they start to understand.

8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Fear of weaponry in the adult male is a sign of sexual and emotional retardation.

Sigmond Freud.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

I have a completely irrational fear of spiders, for the same reason people in group four fear guns. I reached between some couch cushions for some loose change and was bitten. It was terrifying to a five year old me. I can only imagine how much someone would fear a gun if they or a loved one was injured through a negligent accident or crime.

My son was also afraid of cars for a while when he saw someone on a TV show get hit. It was a living nightmare to get him into a vehicle to go anywhere for almost a year and a half.

10. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I converted a few hoplophobic friends. They didn't even like talking about guns. I took a buddy "hiking" with a Henry AR-7 in my bag. Now he owns a Marlin. We all need to take hoplophobes out to shoot & put their irrational fears behind them. I used to be terrified of spiders, now I'll pick them up (the non-poisonous kinds).