Elite comat mags x 3, silver polish

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by EMTchad, Jul 28, 2011.

1. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Seems like 1 out of 2 mags slide and fit better than the other 2. Is this natural?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Check out where it may be hanging up. It could be the bow from the trigger.

With these being new, you may want to check the width differences.

3. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

I'm new to handguns so I dont quite understand Dan, I bought a 3 piece set. All are 3 Wilson combat elite magazines. Apparently they are called elite because it has a thicker wall or something? I paid extra than the regular Wilson combat mags. All 3 fit in perfectly and slide right out without having to pull on them, but seems like 1 of them slides in and locks easier than the other 2. Sorry my first message wasnt clear.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Three words: Tripp Research Magazines.

Virgil Tripp makes the best mags for 1911's out there. He also sells mag rebuild kits. I rebuilt my Wilson mags with them as well as bought a number of new mags.

The rebuild kits turn an eight round mag into a seven rounder, but they feed and fit like a dream. It was worth losing a round for sure feed and performance.

'Cane was talking about them and I must say, he is absolutely right. They are the best I have ever used.

Link: http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

5. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Thanks for the link Ca!

6. nhsuper44

nhsuper44 New Member

I'll second what CA357 posted, Tripp research mags are the best. I have 6 for my STI Trojan...flawless. Thanks to Cane!!!

7. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

So they are cobra mags aye? I've heard only good things about Wilson combat specifically for springfield 1911's. Are the cobra mags awesome for SA too?

8. danf_fl

Grab a caliper and measure the width of the mags. They may be hanging up in different areas. If the top 2" have scratches, then they hang on the trigger bow. If you have a thin scratch that goes the length, then it is hanging on a grip screw.

9. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

There is a scratch on the way top that drags but their thin scratches. Is this going to be a problem??

10. danf_fl

One scratch almost the full length of the magazine? or only on the top third? Do yo have any pics?

11. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

No it's just the top side of the magazine slight scratches on the top. When i press the release to take out the mag it slides right out, and when i push it in to hear the "click" I do have to use some what force, but not too much.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

That's where the mag encounters the mag release tab. Check and the scratch should be directly above the mag release notch on the mag.

When you are experiencing the lock issue is the slide locked back or at battery?

Please read:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/i-bought-kimber-pro-carry-ii-23402/#post230658

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-hollow-points-23957/#post239151

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/i-bought-kimber-pro-carry-ii-23402/#post230885

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/should-i-go-ahead-order-some-47ds-22705/#post219984

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

That force you feel is the follower engaging the slide stop.

That's normal.

14. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Oh okay canebrake, the last message u gave made me more comfortable. The side doesn't seem to have any issues. I even used my loaded mags to check the slide and it seems to be normal. Is it NORMAL for the magazine to already have scratches at the top end on the side? I will try to put pics today

15. danf_fl

A new mag inserted into a firearm will be rubbing on something.
    We are just trying to identify what. You said two work okay and drop easily, but the third didn't, no?

16. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

I said all 3 are good except 1 seems to fit in better without any force.
    And yeah I will show pics to identify it. But if it does show that it's rubbing and creating the scratch, is that a bad thing?

17. danf_fl

Not necessarily. Function is important. If the mag is not functioning correctly, then it is of no use.

If the trigger bow is rubbing on the mag, that could affect the trigger pull.
    If the grip screws are "holding" the mag and not letting it drop, that could affect the reload.
    If the mag release does not allow the mag to drop, it could affect the reload.
    If there is a defect in the mag, it could affect the function of the firearm.

18. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Dan you are a beast! I think it's the grip screw because of the measurements of the scratch. It's the top middle on the SIDE of the mag. The trigger bow is not facin that way right?

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Did you change the grips on your gun?

Did you go to a thin/slim grip?

If yes, did you change bushings and screws?

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member