Electrician???

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by idareya, Jun 23, 2013.

1. idareya

idareya New Member

Any body out there an electrician? I was just wondering what they pay. Seems like an interesting job.

2. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Every electrician I met does not pay. They charge....

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Very decent pay if you have been thru the whole program and are a licensed electrician. Wages vary greatly depending on region and specialty.

At the end of the day, you go home smelling like money. As opposed to a plumber, who usually smells like......:D

4. rurak

rurak New Member

I am a fully licensed Master Electrician in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. I am self employed. If I were to work for someone else I think 30-40/hr is reasonable ...... prevailing wage in Boston is around 70/hr. I love my trade but its a think ing man's job. You can't rush and really have to be able to plan ahead

5. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I just hired one for my plant at $23.59 an hour to start. Too out in the low $30's after 5 to 10 years basted on performance. If it takes ten year to top out though, you'd likely be let go or electrocuted before then.
    I've got tons of respect for the guys though. Not a snowballs chance in hell I'd want that job.

6. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I am an electricians apprentice. The company I got into this trade with specialized in commercial medical (PET,MRI,CT,and radiation machines and renovation of the rooms they are in) and industrial electric. Worked at some cool places while I was at that company,including a morgue of a medical research institute.

The company I'm at now specializes in roadside pole lights,intersection traffic signals,traffic cameras,various utility services. And pretty much anything someone will cut a check for,but... They keep us VERY busy,which I suppose is a good thing being a young man,we usually get about 50 hours a week,and regularly have 60 hour weeks as well.

Pay for an electrician in my area is lower than most areas of the country due to the local union being run like a mob back in the day which eventually led to it having trouble operating correctly I suppose,anywho we have a weak union and the merit shops around here don't have to compete with union pay so wages aren't as high.

You won't get rich doing it,but you can make a decent living doing it,and a damn good one if your good at it.

Like rurak said,the making of a good electrician tends to favor the thinking man,as there is much more to this trade than meets the eye,careful planning and consideration is absolutely crucial to put a job in right and fast,and when something goes wrong,the troubleshooting and thinking you will have to do sometimes will melt your face if you haven't been doing it a zillion years and have yet to see it all.

7. readygirl

readygirl New Member

One of my Uncles is an electrician, seems like he has always made good money. But traveled/ worked out of town on commercial jobs alot. So you might want to stay single, or line up somebody you can depend on to service your woman while your gone.........:D

8. towboater

towboater Active Member

Some require more service than others. Find one that is low maintenance.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Be a nuclear electrician on a submarine. One reenlistment bonus in a tax free zone and you can pay cash for a house. The hours, time away from home, time spent not seeing the sun, written requirements, training, testing, and inspections are ridiculous though. But they often get 6 figure jobs at nuclear plants after the Navy too and the hours aren't bad on the outside.

10. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I am a union electrician and the pay and retirement is good for here in Texas 25.00 an hr. When you have so many Home Depot electricians that come over the border.
    It brings the pay scale down for everyone.
    It's a lot of math every day like algebra and trig.
    It's not for everybody.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my father worked as an electrician most of his life. he learned the trade in the Air Force. he made very good money doing that type of work. he mainly worked in large companies doing commercial type work, not residential. at one time when we lived in Houston, he did subcontract out doing wiring jobs on new houses being built. a couple of the places he worked were union jobs and they paid even better. IMO, a very good trade to learn and master, and one that has the potential for good wages. good luck.

12. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I was a 4th year apprentice in the program for commercial/industrial. 110v to 13.5k services. I was making $12.95/hr when I left. Most licensed electricians were making 16-18/hr there. That's why I left. No money, no work.

13. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Im glad you decided to switch occupations, waiting for more river pics.....:)

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There is also the field called "Electronic Technician".

But it is more intense than wiring a house. Just not as back breaking.

15. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Thats me, Electronics Technician! Its good work, been doing it about 30 years. I apprenticed for it in a TV Shop. Not so many of us around anymore but the work still exists. Much of mine is in the Multimedia repair and installation world now but I still do allot of Scientific equipment repairs as well.

Trades as a whole are worthy career choices, you can get a paycheck while your learning and have no student loans when you get your shingle! Its not an easy schooling process, your going to eat allot of crap in most cases but once your trained, you have many choices including your own business.

Being a tradesperson is dangerous no doubt about it but ive known many and most Electricians have hurt themselves lifting not becoming part of the circuit. You tend to have a pretty cautious approach to your work when it involves E=IR (ohms law). The "I" Part can be a real killer if your not careful.

That $70.00 per hour prevailing wage thing is pretty nonstandard unless your in a city like Boston or NYC and unionized. Wow, thats pretty awesome pay, most Master Electricians in Upstate NY are more like 25 to 40 per hour, still pretty good pay considering your typical college grad is either unemployed, Underemployed or squeaking by on $15 and hour and paying college loans back.

16. rurak

rurak New Member

Working in a large city does pay well but it is a pain in the butt. Parking, people and theft ..... For the amount of knowledge Electricians need to safely complete their job we are grossly underpaid compared to other trades. Some plumbers in my area are close to or over 100/hour ..... that's ridiculous for what a plumber is ...... go on youtube and search "electrician vs. Plumber" funny stuff

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  17. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Unfortunately, that prevailing wage thing has ruined NY. Their is no such thing as a competitive bid process anymore, how can one exist when the state says how much everyone will be paid and sets all the other terms as well? If your not a huge business, you cant compete for anything with state or federal dollars attached to it and most things in this state have grants or funding from Sugar Daddy.

My business has gone downhill in the last 4 years because of it; to a point that its almost nonexistent. Good thing I have a good fulltime job cause Id be out of business otherwise.

Back to the thread, Electrician, Plumber, Carpenter, Pipe Fitter, Electronics Tech, Septic System Repair person and just about every Electro-Mechanical job you can imagine are in demand and always will be. The key is being the best at it otherwise you will likely age out before you can retire. Im a damn good Electronics Technician but Ive also got 21 years of the Military leadership training and experience to add to that. At 52, I dont have to be able to do everything as long as Im good at leading others and getting the job done.

Its all about the total package, be the best at whatever you do, love your work even if you dont love your employer, give great customer service and work harder than the person next to you!

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The feds (bless their hearts) have a thing that is called "Wage determination statement".

That is used by government contractors for wage guidelines.

19. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

there are many different types of electrician's & as many different incomes. I myself do residential/commercial electric, my brother in law is a power plant electrician. needless to say he makes more than me at around $30 an hour, but I know nothing about how to do his job & he knows nothing about how to do mine. I took a year of electronics in college, other than ohm's law, there's not much of anything else from that course that's relevant to what I do. And vice-versa, an electrician will have a hell of a time being dropped into electronics

About 95% of our work is residential, we had a guy a few years ago working with us that hadn't wired a house in years, he did strictly commercial. He was clueless on how our system of 3 & 4 way switches were wired, he kept insisting we didn't have enough wires or we were using the wrong colors.

if you're interested in being an electrician, call a few companies & find out what kinda work they do, maybe see if they'll let you do some job shadowing. also find out your state requirements for registering, if you need to be enrolled in an apprenticeship program or graduate of a tech school, that kinda stuff