Sorry about the rant. Figured I should get that out there first. Did a haul out for a friend yesterday ( part of the payment for a family hunting lease), and on the trip home last night I lost a headlight and all of the trailer lights went wonky. Get unloaded today, and i go over the lights on the trailer. Re-did the ground, checked all the bulbs, and checked the connections. Found nothing wrong, but every time I turned on the running lights and the turn signals, every light on the d@mn thing started flashing. Went over it again, hooked up, same problem. Drove over to the neighbor's place, tried his trailer. At that point, I found out that the problem is my truck's wiring. Drive back to the shop, and I start going over the wiring in the back of the truck. It had one of those "quick connect" wiring harnesses installed. I replaced the trailer plug on it, no joy. Tool out my tail lights, and direct wired an new harness and plug, success! All of the lights were working again. At least until I went under the truck to unhook that QC harness. After unhooking it, I had no Liscence plate lights, no tail lights, and no trailer lights. I start jiggling the connector, the marker lights start flickering on and off. Then, all of the sudden, no lights at all. I get the multi meter out to check voltage at different points of the wiring, Somebody broke my meter and didn't tell me. The ground strap on my circuit test light ripped out of the base of the light, and I had to borrow one from my uncle. Finally found the problem, after 5 hours of wire chasing. It seems that one of the truck's previous owners decided to add a 7 way trailer plug and a trailer brake. Good idea, especially if you do any serious towing. The problem is that at some point in the years between 1992 and 2007 when I bought the truck, these parts were installed by someone who should have never had a tool in their hands. The 7 way was piggy backed off of the main harness, the trailer brake off of that harness, and to top it all off, some meat head went crazy with a set of wire cutters when these parts were removed. None of the connectors were taped, no di-electric grease was used, and the bare wires were just left dangling under the truck. There is no way to describe what is hanging there without using the word cluster. ( Those who are or were military will understand where that is going) Looks like I will spend a good sized chunk of time tomorrow replacing part of my wiring harness, laying on my back in the dirt, and catching up on my iron intake. Sorry about the rant folks, but I had to get that out.