Electric garage door open this morning!

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by TankTop, Jan 29, 2013.

1. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Woke up this morning to find one of my garage doors open, that side of garage is storage so there is no reason it would accidentally be left open. There was a fresh snow last night but no footprints on the driveway. My guess is either kids driving around with an opener and they got lucky or someone doing the same with worse motives. To be on the safe side I unplugged that door, I think I'll change the code when I get a chance. Scary thing is I didn't hear squat, slept right through it.... Grrrrrr......

2. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Man that's scary. I honestly would leave it unplugged unless you really use that side. You never know these crook could have jist been casing your place. They could come back after the case your place and learn your schedule. Stay safe.

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Timers are great I know I wont be out after 10 and I leave early so from 10:00- 5 , 7 days a week my timer for my garage door shuts off , If I am late or early I just have to walk in the door pull the cord

4. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Lol... Take safety precautions but don't get too worked up, especially if nothing was taken. My ex girlfriend used to have a SUV that had a built in garage door opener, but the codes from the factory are so generic, we used to drive around town and open peoples garage doors as we drove by.

Yeah, I know..I was 20 years old at the time.

5. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

Weird thing happened just this morning too. My wife was in the kitchen and our garage door opened about half way and stopped. She checked outside and no one was there. Spooky.

6. TankTop

I'm not too freaked, nothing taken and nobody entered the house. Mostly mad I didn't hear it and wake up to check. I don't have a remote for that side so I'm just going to change the code, odds are astronomical someone could get it twice unless they are a professional, then your screwed anyway.

7. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

8. Viking

Viking Active Member

Back in the late 1950's I built a transmitter for my amateur radio license and we had a neighbor that build a very expensive home that had electric garage door openers which would open when I was testing my transmitter. In those days the door opener transmitters weren't coded and ran in the area of CB radio frequencies. It would seem to me that it would be a good idea to lock pin the doors during the night and during the day while you're away a phone activating alarm set up.

9. camiller

camiller New Member

Interesting. Probably harder without windows, and my opener is not in the center so I can see a would be bad guy taking a while.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Do you have a dog? But then again, my dogs don't bark if they hear a key in the door because they know you belong there. They only bark if something is unusual.

11. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Fence around yard...dogs in garage.... garage door problem solved.

Attached Files:

12. Husker_RN

Husker_RN New Member

Had the same problem they call it "phantom operation" (cue the Scooby Doo theme here). There was a way to clear all the remote control data the opener had "learned" and then we had to make it "relearn" our openers' codes again. You can probably find the info online to do this for your model too. Once we did that we were good. No more phantom operation and no "meddling" cartoon kids and their dog snooping around the house either. :)

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Allegedly the newer openers are digital and the codes are harder to crack. In the old days some of the openers had a frequency adjustment dial. You could partially dissasemble the opener, press the button and turn the dial eventually hitting the code.

14. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

Wasn't going to chance it opening while I'm gone. Went and bought a new one today, changed it out. Belt drive, motion sensor, timed locking features, and it shuts itself automatically if left open. Plus temperature and clock on the wall control.

15. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

I remember reading awhile back that the military has the right to use the same frequencies as garage doors, that they started doing so, and that this had supposedly caused some garage doors to open .

16. Colby

Colby New Member

Yeah... that is a real eye-opener!
    It seems without a window, though, it would be very tough or not even possible.

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

If you don't use a remote on that door just clip the antenna wire as short as you can. That way there is no way it can receive a signalfrom a remote control. Use the wired button on the wall to open it.

The door that you do use though should get a new opener control with a digital random signal generator. Much, much less chance of it opening from an errant signal.

18. Vincine

Vincine New Member

The door from the garage to the house should be a 'real' door with a real lock, not one of those cardboard doors used between rooms.

19. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

Sounds like the exact same unit I just put in for one of my doors - it makes no noise at all, the only noise is the wheels of the door in the track.

My other unit had three phantom openings a few weeks ago. I tracked it down to the lightbulb or the light circuit in the unit. I had one of those new twist type bulbs that have circuits in them. The light was flashing even with the door closed and I bet was causing some RF signal. I took the bulb out and all is fine now.

20. TankTop

I actually had the garage door repairman out yesterday and he told me the same thing, only just with some of the older models. I went ahead and had him reprogram my keypad outside and delete the memory of the door which had opened.