El cheapo scope for an AK, below 75dollars. Is there a good one here?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Pjj342, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

After looking thru the entire optics subfurum here, and asking questions at the Optics talk forum and Saiga12 forum, I absolutely understand you get what you pay for. On the other hand, I looked at opticsplanet and saw some decent reviews for some cheap scopes, no less than 5 reviews with 5 stars.

My results are: Simmons blazer 3-9x32, $50
    barska huntmaster 3-9x40, $50
    Kruger Tac driver 3-9x40, $60
    leapers golder image 3-9x32, $50
    Tasco world class 3-9x40, $60
    tasco target and varmint 2.5-10, $75

Can someone tell me if any of these would be good for my saiga ak? Im looking for something that can hold zero being taken on and off my rifle, since I have a quick detatch side mount. Also, something that will last a while.

I know Id be better off with a more expensive scope, Im just trying to find a better scope than I have now. Its the cheapest one on earth, an ultralux 4x25.:eek:

2. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Tasco are the better of the bunch u listed, but it is what it is cheap scope

3. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

I thought the same thing. I have heard alot of guys satisfied with their tasco's. They are the only scopes Ive used, other than cheap bushnells on my dads hunting rifles. Every one worked just fine and killed alot of deer.
    I dont know much about the other ones though, I hear some good and some bad.

But are the rest junk? There seem to be alot of low priced scopes, its hard to know which is better and why.

4. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Barska ,bsa, while on a 22 may be fine but on a centerfire are just crap. The recoil kills em quick most of the time. I call cheap scopes maby scopes, becouse they may work or may not I dont like those odds. Save up get a good scope an be done with it thats my .02 tho

5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

AKs are rough on scopes. You will find that an inexpensive scope will probably not hold zero on that rifle. I tried a good red-dot on mine and after a few months I removed it and went back to iron sights.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Look at the Konus shotgun scopes. A fixed 2.5x32 would have less parts to break and has an etched reticle so no wires to break. I have a Simmons Aetec that did not last 40 rnds on a 308 bolt. It was a replacement for a Simmons that broke on a 223 bolt. The Barskas dont hold point of aim on power change. Look at the Vortex Crossfire line for a little more money.

7. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

I thought an ak would be rather easy on a scope?? But I guess there are alot of separate bumps as the carrier goes back (when the carrier bottom and the bolt goes over the hammer twice then slams back forward) , unlike a bolt action or many other semi auto rifles. Although it is quite light on recoil.

There is nothing wrong with my irons, I can hit basically anything up to 100yds with them. I am looking for more precise long range options though(100-200yds). This scope will live on my quick detatch mount and be able to get slapped on at a moments notice, if a long shot presents itself.

I pretty much know that the lower priced vortex scope is the way to go, with the great warranty and quality for the price. I very well may get one, it will take a while though. Between now and spring I will be buying an ace skeleton stock plus necessary mounting hardware and cheek rest, and a nice chaos aluminum quad rail. That will be 250bucks right there.....

And thats the reason for the post about cheapo scopes, I may not have the extra hundred+ bucks for the decent scope for a while. I just want something a little better than my ultralux 4x25, which isnt horrible but isnt great either. It holds zero when going on and off my rifle, but isnt the clearest and the adjustments arent consistant at all.

Im just trying to get one thats bit better, for now.

8. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Take a look at the CenterPoint scopes that WalMart sells. They make scopes for Air Rifles, which like an AR, gives forward/reverse shocks to a scope. You can get a 3-9x40 that package says will handle a Rigby 416 recoil for around $60, OR a fixed 4-power Bushnell for $60.
    Del

9. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

The centerpoint scopes are very poor quality an very heavy just save some money buy a good solid bushnell 3200 for 175 or so. Then u wont have to buy several junk ones before u realize heck should have just got a good one. In the end it all adds up anyways

10. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I would of mentioned a Bushnell 3200 Muliemaster, because you can get one for good money now that Bushnell has stopped making that line of scopes and gone to just making the Elite lineup, but PJJ342 wanted cheap, so I mentioned CenterPoint. On the contrary, they have pretty fair/clear glass for a Chinese scope, and lots of folks have had very good results with these scopes. Also, they're made strong and heavy, because CenterPoint is a Crossman Company. Hence, a Air Rifle scope for it's ruggedness. If OP wanted some very good scopes for less than $200, I would of mentioned Weaver, Burris, Redfield, Nikon, and a couple others which would fit the bill.
    One other scope to mention, would possibly be a Thompson Contender scope that's used on Muzzleloaders. Don't know if they could/would hold up to the fast burn recoil of a semi-auto centerfire, compared to slow burn of a muzzleloader, but those 50cal rifles carry a pretty good punch. If they can, WalMart carries them for around $75.
    Honestly best choice would be to save more money and actually get a scope that everyone knows would take the punishment, instead of settling on a cheap scope that will constantly need replacement, but lots of folks just want something quick, versas, something worth the money. Been down this road myself many times. I now own cheap scopes(Bushnell) and scopes costing upwards of $300(Weaver). I owned a CenterPoint scope once and I really liked it's clarity/rugged build/bells and whistles, but my 30-06 didn't, so now, I have a Nikon Buckmaster on it. This is a scope that has proven itself with putting lots of meat on my table for Family, but of course, it's around that $200+ mark.
    Del

11. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I truly believe this is a endless debate on cheap scopes. No one can say if u will want it, like it, or whats best for u. I think the best bet here is carefully look at as many as u can an then pick the one u like the best. Cheap Optics are like used cars u may geat a good one u may get a lemon. Personally I dont like, want, or need anything if I have to settle for less than I feel I should. I would rather save my money an get a quailty scope that wont need replaced every time u turn around, or one that kind holds its zero to me thats just pointless, but thats my thoughts

12. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

Same here, I want somethig that will work well for my money.
    I have done a whole lot of digging in the 100-200dollar price range, and that is where the best value lies, in my opinion. I was just hoping that someone could tell me of a knockout deal in the 50-75 range. I hear stories about guys having very good luck with cheap scopes, and some that dont.

I appreciate everyones honesty and help. I guess anything cheap will be made will less control and its consistancy is suspect. So some can get some good ncstar scopes while most say to avoid them like the plague. The jury is still out though...

Triumph, you were saying about air rifle scopes? I always thought these to be not as good, just because they are cheaper. But they are supposed to handle spring piston recoil so maybe some would be alright, I really dont know. Or would the intial boom make them malfunction, because they are meant to handle different vibrations?

13. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Honestly I've heard results of folks owning and having to return $2000 Swaroski scopes due to fogging, because the seals couldn't take the cold climate, and $1500 Zeiss scopes not holding up to recoil of a Savage 338 Leupa. Even Leupold scopes have seen their returns for not holding up to recoil sometimes, so even the most trusted named scopes and their expensive costs doesn't hold water, over a cheap scope when you have one break at a time when you need it the most. Let's just say that no matter what you purchase, there's always a risk that it might need warranty work, and this is where a scopes Customer Service will shine or go bust to want to make people purchase more of their products.
    I mentioned a Air Rifle scope because the internal/external mechanism and seals MUST hold up to the shockwave of the air rifle's forward/reverseal spring vibrations and this oscillation has even broken Leupold's scopes, BUT Leupold now says that their scopes will stand up to an air rifle's double recoil, so they and other expensive scope manufactures have reenforced most of their scopes where it was needed, for this problem. CenterPoint scopes are made by an air rifle company, so their scopes can stand up to this recoil also, and that's why many folks use them on their centerfires/rimfires due their ruggedness(they are heavier) and if you think about a semi-auto's recoil, you also have this double oscillation too when the bolt slide comes back to it's stopping point to chamber a new round, then slams forward, until that next round is fired. Just food for thought. Maybe a Nikko-Sterling scope would work too, if you can get them in the power magnification you want them in, but I think that CenterPoint, as a cheaper scope, has a better Customer Service if you should have any problems. Even though they may be priced cheaper than Weaver, Leupold, Mueller, Sightron and other's, if you go to CenterPoints website, you'll find that they also sell scopes priced at $300. Now tell me that's a cheap made scope, when you have shallow pockets. NCSTAR. That's a hit/miss cheap scope, but I do know of one person who has a 3-9x40 model mounted on a 300WinMag that really has held up over time, so you never know. Your best bet would be to read up on lots of scope reviews, then just get one and try it. You'll never know until you do.
    Del

14. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Like I said before this is a endless debate , look at as many as u can pick the one u like the most

15. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

I was also wondering how credible the reviews systems are. It just seems like the vendor could edit out bad posts whenever they pleased. Of course they would keep the good ones, but I dont know if they would delete some bad posts to keep the field competitive, and lucrative.

Thats not to say that there are no bad reviews, because there are many. But I wonder if some of the half decent reveiws you get on an obviously crappy 20dollar scope, comes from some of the bad ones getting deleted.

Maybe Im thinkin too far into this, but all of the scopes I listed on the starting thread all had very good reviews.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I always go to the bad reviews first. It usually turns out to be someone with some experience or someone that could not find his butt with both hands. Easy to sort out though. A lot of the high ratings just put the scope on and have not even fired any rounds. Look for people that appear to have some experience and read those ratings carefully. If there are a bunch of high ratings, no middle ratings and some very bad ratings it usually indicates a QC problem.

17. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

That makes alot of sense. I do kinda doubt much is held back, unless its profain. You are right, you always see alot of five stars who just say "fast shipping, looks good". Ill have to contrast a bit more.

18. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

I had a Simmons model 44124 that I loved on my Yugo SKS. Back then I figured a scope for this rifle should not cost more than I paid for the rifle. As you have an Ak I would go with a simmons just not that one. Also be careful on your mount and don't use the rear cover kind as they fit way too loose, go with a side mount.