eject or extract, that is the question

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by smokey_one, May 20, 2014.

1. smokey_one

smokey_one New Member

Hi all. im new here,just started my acct. i hope im doing this rite. have a question about a weatherby orion. can it be converted from ejection to extraction without cutting short the ejector springs? shooting trap, its a pain holding my hand over the action just to save my hulls for reloading. if i remove the spring & plungers, the barrels will only close if they are pointing up. any imput will be helpful.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

get a second set of springs and clip one coil at a time until they no longer eject fully. if you mess it up or want to put it back later you have the originals

thats the only way other than removing the lip on the extractor so it cant grip the rim. clipping springs is much cheaper and easier than futzing with the extractor

lastly you can contact weatherby they MIGHT have conversion parts

Last edited: May 20, 2014

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

YES, on what Jon said !................

4. smokey_one

smokey_one New Member

thank you jon. i was thinking the same. was told by a friend at the range that the weatherby action is the same as an SKB. he said that "a guy" did something to his SKB so it wouldn,t eject. he said it only took about a minute to do. enough said on that, we all know that story! thanks again all...

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I wouldn't mess with the shotgun. I would buy a squirrel cage on a stick that you roll to pick up the hulls. Any time I see a 28ga semi auto I am in a golf cart following them to pick up hulls with my squirrel cage.