Effectiveness of 7.62x39 on wild animals?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by General_lee, Jun 10, 2011.

1. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I have a question for you guys.

I was wondering how effective the 7.62x39 round would be against various dangerous wild animals such as panthers or other big cats, wild hogs and bears?

I'm not planning on hunting with 7.62x39, I was just wondering if it would be a practical wilderness self defense round for camping, exploring in the woods, etc..

2. orangello

orangello New Member

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Ballistics are similar to a .30-30, but w/ a lighter bullet. Within 150 yards it would be fine for Deer or medium pigs, but you just might piss a larger animal off.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i wouldnt use it on a bear but softpoints should work just fine on mountain lions and such.

the ballistic flight path is similar to a 30-30 but the terminal impact effect is substantially less than a 30-30. the diff tween a 30-30 and 7.62x39 is about what a 357mag is to a 38spl.

there arent many decent bullets for hunting with a 7.62x39 unless you reload. i would pick a different round

i would go with a lever action 45-70 for backpacking if i couldnt take my 458 socom.

5. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

The 7.62x39 was made for killing men about 120-250 pd man at medium range. It's an ok deer round but I would carry something bigger. I have Winchester model 94 in 30-30 and thats my trail gun, kill anything in kentucky short of my mother in law but that why I'm getting an elephant rifle (not really). Actually the bullet from my 30-30 and my mosin are the same diameter give or take a hundredth of an inch. I sometimes carry my Taurus Circuit judge but it really depends on my mood and who I'm with.

6. General_lee

General_lee New Member

This is mainly a hypothetical question because I don't go out in the woods that often.
    Note, I'm not in bear country. I have heard we have small "Sugar bears" down here, but no grizzlies or anything of that sort. We do have mountain lions and hogs though.

Ok let me put this in a different way.
    Let's say you're out in the wild and THE ONLY GUN YOU HAVE is an AK and 30 rounds of ammo. You stumble upon a bear that doesn't look too happy. You empty the entire mag into the bear. Many of the rounds hit more vital areas while some don't. Will the bear drop, or is the 7.62x39 more like a bee sting to him?

7. orangello

orangello New Member

I like the way you think! :D

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

What kind of bear? Why is he unhappy? ;)

You put enough lead in anything, it will eventually get the message. While not ideal, the 7.62x39 beats a sharp stick.

9. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Um... let's say a brown bear that's unhappy because you interrupted him while he was taking a number 2:p

See that's exactly what I'm asking, I know it's not the ideal round, what I'm asking is would it work if that's all you had at the time.

10. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Hehehe thanks:D:cool:

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

As with any caliber, shot placement matters. Assuming one had the presence of mind to place their shot, yes. You might not even need the other 29 rounds if you're good. :)

12. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

I doubt l you will find any brown bears around Lumpkin or anywhere else in Georgia. I believe I'd chunk the sks and just take my M1A.

13. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Yeh this ain't exactly bear country, so I'm not worried.:cool: It was just a random thought that popped in my head.

Wish I had a M1A:D *drools*

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

eskimos police routinely dispatch polar bears with full auto fire from m16's. hardly a bear round but a volume of fire on target does wonders. the problem you face with an ak47 is keeping the damn thing from bouncing around and landing very fast accurate follow up shots.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

For self defense below the Mason-Dixon line the AK/SKS loaded with soft point ammo is more than sufficient. I would prefer the Winchester, Remington or Federal SP ammo over the import stuff. Seems to be a bit more care put into the making of the bullets locally resulting in more consistant terminal ballistics.

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

In a word? Yes. 30 rounds of Commie Magik at the distance where the bear is that mad at me for the stated reason should do the trick. shot placement would be key, but a couple thru the lungs, 5 or 6 in the head region and the last of the mag down his throat as he bears down on me ( hee hee ) would get the job done.

And earn me an invite to 'Gello's for bar b que. :cool:

JD

17. Glockcurmudgeon

Glockcurmudgeon New Member

If in the woods...

Knowing what's out there, and you've stipulated bear, that may or may not be pissed-off, I'd leave the 7.62X39 home, and take my PTR MSG-91, a 7.62X51 w/20rds of Hornady 168gr BTHPs. Old bruin will be smart/lucky and leave me alone, or die, shot to doll rags... I can't, for now, go far, but if/when I do, I'll go "armed for bear..."

Glockcurmudgeon, out...

PS, my PTR 32KFR is extraordinarily accurate. HOWEVER, I'd rather have more horse power to take the bear down- with a 7.62X51 sniper round. Placement, placement, placement...

OH, and my Remington 870 Desert Recon II, w/Knoxx stocks, and Trijicon TX-30 optic, and 3" Brenneke slugs, would do- in a pinch...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  18. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Shoot 29 and check results... if bear looks even more pissed off put barrel in mouth and fire 30th round... you can't out run a bear!

Problem solved. :cool:

Scubie

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

Wouldnt you burn your lips from a hot barrel??