Eerie Reminder of War

Discussion in 'History' started by zaitsev44, Jan 11, 2014.

1. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I was browsing around Gunbroker, and I ran across a grim reminder of war. Handling weapons that were possibly used in combat is one thing, but seeing something like this really makes you realize the cost of war. Even with this being from an Axis soldier, it's still kinda ominous. I've seen copies of casualty reports in Allied newspapers and such, but these were given directly to the families of the fallen. I could imagine seeing many German wives and mothers being delivered these at one time en masse after Stalingrad, Normandy, or the Battle of Britain (much like the scene from We Were Soldiers), and I realize something this happened to the Allies via Western Union. IIRC, the date on this card is the same date that Operation Market Garden began. Very interesting reminder.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=385720763

2. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

My gram still has the paper that my grandfathers mom wrote the telegraph saying her husband was KIA in WWII. I can even imagine having to write down that and read it as you hear the clicks.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

During WW 2 and Korea, in the US notification was by telegram. We now use CNOs- Casualty Notification Officers- that go to the home of the next of kin, and notify them in person.

If you ever think YOUR job sucks, spare a thought and a prayer for the folks that are (and have been ) on a notification team.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i can only imagine the stress level of a job where your function was to inform people their loved one had been killed. yes that would suck. :(

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

6. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

A friend of mine had that duty for awhile.
    Notification.

7. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I could never bring myself to sell something like that, I'd try my damnedest to find a living relative and send it to them. Axis or not, every soldier fights for something, it takes a special person to do what they did/do, and for that I'm gratefully thankful to everyone whom has served and is currently serving.

[​IMG]

8. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

My Eerie reminder of war.
    During the TET Offensive Feb 5th 1968 while in Kontum SVN I "recaptured" this SVN flag complete with bullet ,shrapnel and bodily fluids.
    I took the flag from an NVA who no longer had a need for it.
    Anytime I want a reminder of what war can include I take it out of my safe and sit and look at it and the memories flood in.
    My unit and others from the 4th Division + killed 1,189 enemy in and around Kontum.

[​IMG]

THE STORY NOT MANY HAVE HEARD.
    I was assigned to C co. 1/22 Inf. 4th Infantry Division, the expendables if you read the story.

PDF takes a few seconds to load.
    http://charliecompanydotorg.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/kontum-tet-68-pdf.pdf

Some others from my company who took flags from the NVA/VC.

[​IMG]

By the way any NVA flags were given to the Commanding officers.

9. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

I was 2/20 FA 4th Infantry Division "Ironhorse" in Iraq 03-04