Educate me please on 1911,s

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by PaBushMan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

while i agree with most of what you said, i do respectfully disagree with the part about easy to build. not true. they are not modular like the AR platform. 1911's require a lot of fitting and tuning when building from parts. most parts need to be fitted in order for a 1911 to operate properly and safely.

2. MisterMills

MisterMills Active Member

I bought one in 1980, because it was the current Army pistol; and because of its reputation as a man stopper.
    It points well, it is dependable and the .45 ACP will stop an attacker. It gained fame against the Moro's, by killing onrushing attackers. And that was a selling point for me, I like a gun that has a reputation for killing dangerous attackers.

That is with the 230 grain FMJ load. If you really want to power it up, you can use a heavy spring, and some Shok Buffs. Load it with 185 grain +P HP, and it will be the equal of a .357 Mag. At least it is in my book.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Not exactly correct historically on the Moros. The Moro insurrection and landing of Marines in the Phillipines happened between 1899 and 1900. The 1911 didn't exist yet.

What sparked the search for a new service handgun was not the reputation of performance of the 1911, but the poor performance of the .38 Long Colt revolvers of the time.

towboater, Dallas53 and AZdave like this.
  4. ifithitu

ifithitu Member

I own seven 1911's and i'm thinking I need one more because they say you can never have to many 1911's. Here's three of my seven. 18193947_1327185297360209_8746961712189613155_n.jpg

AZdave likes this.
  5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought I was the only one who still owned and occasionally shot a bolt action shotgun. I bought a dirt cheap, but excellent condition, recalled Sears gun. Then again, my wife told me I was "quirky" last night. Quirky? Hell, I am grumpy, grouchy, intolerant, but I am not quirky. (I don't think)

Dallas53 likes this.
  6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I shot my first 1911 in boot camp in 1970. I shot it well and it grew on me. Go to a range, rent one for an hour and see if the magic works for you.

7. MisterMills

MisterMills Active Member

Yes, you are right, it did not exist, the Army used .45 Colt revolvers: which did stop the Moro, whereas the .38 Colt was a dud.
    But the experiences there, were a major reason that the US chose a .45, instead of a smaller round.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Pa,

They are a work of design art by John Browning. They are a product of History and stood the test of time for the conisuer of the weapons. As stated, they are steel and presently come in various models, quality, weight and sizes to meet the desire to meet the need of most shooters who like the 1911s.
    And as stated today they vary in price for military collectors and the normal shooter today.
    You can purchase a fairly good quality 1911 for under a thousand dollars and up.
    With some of the hand fit customs like Rock River Arms, Les Baer, Ed Brown and others to the medium priced good quality pistols like Remington, Sig , Double Star and others down to the less expensive Rock Island Arsenal and others. But one thing for sure they are nostalgic, and most are very accurate and fun to shoot. So if you want and like the 1911 Go For It!:)
    Personally I have 4.5 in Rock River Arms Custom Combat Commander 1911 in 45 ACP(Now called a Pro Carry Model) that shot a 1" Group at 50 yards out of a Ranson Rest in 2002 and was in the Shooting Times Magazine that month. Still have it today.

Attached Files:

Dallas53 likes this.
  9. bluzman

bluzman Member

This sums it up nicely. I'll add that, if you find you love that first 1911, you'll end up with more than one.

MisterMills, AZdave and Dallas53 like this.
  10. Dallas53

that is 110% true! they can become their own gun addiction just by themselves.

what is kind of neat about the 1911 platform, is the various types and calibers they can be had in.

11. AZdave

AZdave Active Member

I've had 5 different versions in about 2 years after love at first sight. Still have 3. Traded others for a Colt ceracote 1911, and a stainless 22/22WMR single six.

Now to get time to shoot this hardware.

Dallas53 likes this.
  12. Dallas53

once you get the addiction, it's hard to stop at just one. currently i have six of them, and have at least ten more that i'd like to have on gun wish list!

13. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

I guess I should be embarrassed, but I only have one: a Colt Model 70 Government model. Don't shoot it as often as I'd like, but it is a nice piece of art - and art it is!

A fine shooter and classic history to boot!

the walnut grips are in safe storage; the Hogue grips are wonderful and change the entire feel of the gun. I went for the reduced-radius firing pin stop and it really does change the whole feel of the gun. The original John Browning design had this, but the Army wanted something different, and that is what became "normal" or "standard".

Tougher to rack the slide, but cocking before racking changes all of that.

A wonderful piece of firearm as well as a piece of history!

headspace and Dallas53 like this.
  14. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

1911's are big steel sidearms that spit big chunks of lead. As combat pistols go, they're accurate (in the hands of someone who knows how to shoot, obviously), powerful (as with all firearms, power is relative), and ergonomic (for most people), if a little heavy. They tend to have low cartridge capacities and their weight makes comfortable concealed carry somewhat problematic for smaller stature people. 1911's also mandate an educated and skilled user who understands how firearms work and how they fail. People who tell you they've shot tens of thousands of rounds out of their 1911 and never replaced any wear parts are either lying about how many rounds they shot or lying about how many parts they replaced. Learn to live with the fact that wear parts have to be replaced and you'll need spare parts if you intend to shoot it a lot. Love the machine for what it is and don't obsess over the metal.

There are an almost limitless variety of 1911's to choose from and parts available to make them do whatever you want them to do. Technologically, they're a bit of an anachronism in the 21st century. If you're adding a 1911 to your collection just for the pleasure of shooting one, then you can't go wrong with whatever pleases you. I'll never willingly part with my Colt Series 70. It's not that it's the "best" for anything, but it shoots quite well in my hands and I like it.

If you want a concealed carry firearm, then there are better options available from most of the same manufacturers that make 1911's. Every design has its limitations and the 1911 is no different in that regard. Few pistols feel as natural in my hands as a 1911, but that's completely subjective. Basically, you just have to shoot a finely made machine like a good 1911 in order to fully appreciate it.

Anyway, a good 1911 is a shootable investment that has enough variety of uses to make it a worthwhile addition to any firearms collection. Don't get something too cheap or costly for your first 1911. I prefer Colts, even with their problems, but I'm biased because I like Colt firearms. As long as you're above ground, you have nothing but time to decide what you like best.

AZdave and Dallas53 like this.
  15. Dallas53

Mr. KBD, that was a most excellent post about the 1911 platform.

over the years, i have introduced many people to the 1911 platform, and by large most usually find a liking, or some even a love for the pistol! just as i was hooked from the first time i shot one at the urging of very close friend, who was former Marine Corps sergeant. never been without at least one ever since.

16. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Easy to build is ri
    Easy to build is correct. I did not say assemble though most don't require much fitting. A set of files, stones and screwdrivers and a vise is all I had.

17. Dallas53

the 1911 is not like an AR15, where you can buy parts from different manufacturers and build one, without fitting the vast majority of the parts, so it operates properly and safely.

seen plenty of 1911's totally screwed up because backyard Bubba tried to modify or build one. seen more than one that was pretty much relegated to being nothing more than a parts gun.

frankly, doesn't bother me one bit. i have picked up a couple of totally hacked up 1911's for parts, for next to nothing.

headspace likes this.
  18. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Active Member

I like the 1911 just fi
    Do yourself a favor and avoid Hi Powers. They multiply faster. I love my 1911's but the Hi Power hands down my favorite firearms created by John Browning. I never understood why folks buy a 9mm 1911 as opposed to a HiPower.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 1:30 PM
    Dallas53 likes this.
  19. Dallas53

i have shot a few in the past. and i would dearly love to own a few! but i fear they would start multiplying as well.

and something i have noticed about a lot of people who appreciate and collect 1911's, they also tend to appreciate, and sometimes even collect the Hi-Power pistols as well.