Eddystone Model of 1917

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by TXnorton, Jul 25, 2010.

1. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Here is my new to me Eddystone Model of 1917

The serial number indicates a July 1918 manufacture date, it has a 1918 barrel date, so it is probably the original barrel.

The receiver and barrel and most other parts are Eddystone, but there are a few parts of the bolt that are Winchester. The bore looks pristine, after three passes with a bore brush and then a few solvent soaked patches it cleaned right up. I only had one dirty patch (powder residue) and then all the rest of the patches were clean. The magazine follower was full of cosmolene as was the front sight guard, and the battle sight diopter was blocked with cosmolene as well. The stock has a few handling dings, but otherwise looks really good.

Given the apparently original barrel and the overall good condition of the rifle, I would guess that this rifle saw very little use in WW1, as the war was over in November 1918, and was then placed in storage. The mixed parts Eddystone and Winchester could mean that the rifle was armory refurbished (although it may not have needed much) for potential use in WW2, but probably did not see much use in that conflict as well. The large amount of cosmolene that I had to clean out may also mean that it was stored after being refurbished, but has not seen much shooting since.

I am really pleased with this acquisition, and cannot wait to shoot it. Hopefully I can manage some range time this coming week-end. Now it goes back into the gun safe with its 1903 Mk 1, 1903 A3 and M1 Garand “brothers in arms”.

Attached Files:

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Beautiful TX! I love the Eddystones and that one looks to be in excellent condition.

I have one, but it's been sporterized. It was well done, but I'd still like to have an original model.

3. GMACK

GMACK New Member

The eddy stone I picked up last week is a twin of yours. The best we can tell its arsenal refinised and not been shot until I got my hands on it. My old shoulder is a tad rough but damn I like shooting it. As more rounds are fired the smaller the groups get.:)

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Nice job, my friend, in growing the military arsenal!

5. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Gratz TX.. beautiful rifle.. Now you need to get yourself a P14. Very similar but in .303.

6. Highpower

Highpower New Member

That is a fine looking rifle and I'm glad to see it will be kept in good company. Congrats on the find! :)

My Remington:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Beautiful rifle, TX! I love the 1917's.

8. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

M-1917 and M1903 Range Time

I finally took a day off from 7 days a week at work, and made it out to the range with the WW1 veteran rifles.

Both the Eddystone M-1917 and the M-1903 Mk-1 have battle sights set for 400+ yards, and so for 100 yard shooting you have to use the ladder sights at the lowest seting, which is set for 200 yards. On the M-1903 this is a v-notch (up forward of the reciever) and on the M-1917 it is an aperture sight at the rear of the reciver.

The targets below are as good as my 56 year old bi-focal eyes can do at 100 yards with those rifles. Both rifles can shoot better than I can!

Attached Files:

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Definitely oldies but goodies. I'm glad they're working for ya'. :D

10. Esteban

Esteban New Member

You KILLED the cardboard !