Eddystone Cocking Problem

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by CA357, Jan 15, 2011.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm having some problems with the Eddystone. Sometimes the bolt will close all the way, but not cock. Yesterday it was doing that and sometimes it would not completely even completely close. I finally just gave up in frustration.

What do you think?

2. Millwright

Millwright New Member

Step one: Clean it !!

Remove the bolt and scrub the chamber/receiver thoroughly. Then disassemble the bolt and clean it and all associated parts !

Not a martial arms afficianado myself, but years of neglect, buildup of cosmoline and dirt can be a problem. Remember martial arms are meant to work until they catastrophically fail. >MW

3. CA357

It was spotless.

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I can attest to that! Virtually spotless!!

CA, didn't that happen when I was testing the trigger pull as well?

5. CA357

I can't remember. :eek:

M14'sRock suggested I check the action screws. I may have had them too tight. :rolleyes:

6. CA357

The more I think about it, the more overtightened screws make sense.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

that is true right there. I cinched mine down nice and tight once and it caused all sorts of havoc.

8. CA357

It's the only thing that makes sense at this point. I had the rear screw pretty tight, but loosened the front screw because the barrel needs to float. I think it was uneven pressure. I'll try and hit the range again this week and check it out.

9. Millwright

Millwright New Member

From the contents of the "follow-on" posts, you must have one of those plastic receivers Eddystone was famous for......Can't think of any other reason for action screw tension to influence the alleged bolt lockup !! >MW

10. CA357

Hmmm.

11. Millwright

Millwright New Member

The bolt and receiver are unitary in the Enfield......

Been more than a few decades since I've owned/shot one but I took mine down, cleaned and reassembled it without any of the alleged problems reported.....I recall being impressed by by smooth bolt action and the natural "fit" of the rifle that made bringing the sights back on target so easy..... >MW

12. CA357

"alleged problems" ???

What's your deal Millwright?

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Chill out a bit Millwright. 7 posts and 3 of them are moderately offensive and condescending. Not the best start on FTF, and we do hope you stick around.

14. Millwright

Millwright New Member

When confronted by statements seemingly inconsistent with long accepted facts regarding the established operation of mechanical devices, I tend to be critical in evaluating the 'complaints', hence also the complaintants' observations. Since I've nothing to sell or gain, I tend to be more succinct in expressing my criticisms/opinions.

Are you complaining about my observations or my succinctness ?

Disagreement/dispute about an engineering/performance aspect of a firearm is one thing. Patting someone on the head for displaying ignorance of its basic operating characteristics is quite another !! In this instance, its contended action screw torque influences basic operation of an Enfield. Were troops in the field issued torque drivers during its heyday ? I doubt it ! IOW its a bogus contention/report that may be concealing a more dangerous problem ! Ignorance may be bliss, but it isn't insurance against the realities of physics !

I've already admitted my experience with an Enfield is [probably] older than the poster ! As such its subject to the erosion of time. But none of the comments/reports make any mechanical/logical sense to me, regardless of arm(s) at point. >MW

15. CA357

I'm sixty-one years old and while I am trying to obtain a true solution, I was soliciting neither arrogance or attitude. Keep your advice and your attitude, I don't need it.

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Hmm... I have seen some of the quirkiest issues resolved on old sporterized milsurps merely by paying attention to things such as screw torque.

Troops in the field were issues un-modified rifles that were inspected and evaluated by armorers. The rifle in question is far from a stock rifle.

CA357 was looking for thoughts on what may be causing the issues he described. He was not soliciting arrogance and rude responses. If your responses are indicative of your general tone of voice, I'd like to suggest that you check out AR15.com. You will fit right in over there.

And, for what it is worth, I do have some experience with 1917's. And I own several.

17. CA357

Huzzah!!!

When I was at the range a couple of weeks ago with mrm14, I experienced the not cocking issue again. However, this time one of the RO's there had been observing.

We had been loading one round at a time into the chamber and not using the magazine. This gent told us to always use the mag. He said the bolt needs to grab onto that little rim and push forward. We went ahead and used the mag from then on. Cocking problem solved!

I also realized that I had the scope set too far back as well and was fighting parallax like crazy. With the old school Buehler mounts, the scope will need to be re-zeroed. So hopefully, it should be one more trip to get the new scope set back up and it will be ready to rock.

Thank you all for the support, answers and suggestions and camaraderie.

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Aha. For future ref, all Mauser style actions should only be fed from the magazine.

Glad you figured it out, Don.

19. CA357

I didn't figure it out, the RO did. But it doesn't matter, problem solved and I also learned something about Mauser actions. :)

20. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Mystery solved! That's great CA!!