Ed Brown Beavertail question

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by WannaBeVagabomd, Aug 23, 2013.

1. WannaBeVagabomd

WannaBeVagabomd New Member

I know the Ed Brown beavertail is probably the best out there (if I'm wrong, please let me know), but I read this on their site which confused me

"Ed Brown Memory Groove Beavertail Grip SafetyThe number one grip safety in the world! More shooters specify the Ed Brown Beavertail than all others combined. Sweeps so high on the gun it is countersunk so a Commander-styled hammer will drop into it. Our grip safety gets your hand as deep into the gun as possible."

Now pardon me for being dense, but that mean it'll only take commander style hammers? I don't recall ever seeing a 1911 that said it had one and didn't use a commander hammer. I was thinking about a spur style hammer...
    Thanks for any info.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Not an expert, but I don't think the spur hammer is compatible with beaver tail grip safeties. Need to stick with the original style grip safety for spur hammers.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Most Extended grip safeties will not work with the spur hammer.

4. WannaBeVagabomd

Eh... so be it. Had this one on standby just in case that's how it turned out.

20.jpeg

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

that slot is the countersunk portion that they are describing for the hammer to have enough clearance to operate properly.

there is also a jig that might have to used with some frames, in order to clearance it or to fit it to the Ed Brown grip safety.

6. WannaBeVagabomd

Understood. Now I saw that jig Ed Brown was selling is about the same price as the actual beavertail... and alternatives? Thank you for any help.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a lot of very careful work with a Dremel tool and some very good files. but also remember to factor in refinishing the grip safety and the frame after doing it.