Ebola Outbreak

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by stratrider, Apr 7, 2014.

1. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Is anyone monitoring the Ebola situation in west Africa? This is a highly contagious killer virus that has spread to several African countries. Outbreaks in the past have been contained in remote villages, deep in the jungle in places like Zaire, Congo and Gabon which are further south of the current outbreak. Cases have recently been confirmed in the port city of Conakry, Guinea (population over a million). There have been cases/deaths in Liberia and now there is a suspected case in Ghana. Some of these places have airports that link to Europe. I'm keeping a close eye on this and praying that it is contained soon.

Attached Files:

2. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Pray it doesn't come to a city near you

Ebola is pretty nasty

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

4. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

In many African countries it's custom to handle the body at the funeral. This custom is tailor made for the spread of Ebola.

5. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

The book The Hot Zone was the scariest book I've ever read. If I had ebola I'd load one in the chamber and take the quick way out. It's a nasty way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

6. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I'm reading that same book right now. I work in that region and it scares the hell out of me.:(

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

+10. I agree.

8. havasu

havasu Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I believe this is the time to put human rights on the back burner and isolate everyone in that group until the disease is eradicated.

9. stratrider

stratrider New Member

There are 10's of thousands of expatriates (Europeans, Asians and Americans) that work in west Africa. These people commute back and forth to their homeland on various schedules. The oil industry in the Gulf of Guinea is one thing that draws a lot of people into that area. I am in "that group".

10. havasu

I didn't realize it was so wide spread. I was under the assumption it was only within one tribe of about 50 persons. Yeah, this stuff is scarier than hell.

11. stratrider

stratrider New Member

A map I made showing the recorded and suspected Ebola cases. My sources were recent news articles, some of which did not state the specific town. [​IMG]

12. havasu

Sure looks like the beginning of the movie "Outbreak"

13. cotex

cotex New Member

That movie was scary. I don't think we would do a very good job at containment in this country, we are way to social. Then you throw in all the family members in the mix!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

14. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Great book! Read it a long time ago. Really interesting, the author's personal take on it at the conclusion. I won't ruin it for those that haven't read it, although it's not really giving away anything in the book since it's non-fiction anyways.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

10% survival rate is not encouraging.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

That "precautions" poster made me think of the zombie movies.

My sister's neighbor has a daughter who has been Peace Corpsing in Guinea. Last I heard she was on her way back there, and the organization was uncertain if the plane would be allowed to land/unload. Call me a prude, but if there is some question about whether or not it is safe to deplane due to a biological threat, I would skip that trip.

IIRC, the thing that kept Ebola from killing more people in the past has been that it struck in rural areas and killed everyone before they could escape to spread it further. If it gets on an airplane, it could get past that little barrier to pandemic status.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

And how messed up are the survivors? I mean, are we talking a limp with the occasional bleeding from the eyes, or are we talking a lump of goo with a pulse?

18. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

We watched a movie in school about this last week, it showed a few survivors and they appeared to be just fine.

mammas dont let your cowboys grow up to be babies
    better dead than red

19. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

What, you can catch it from Facebook and texting?:D

Interesting map. Has anyone read the book trilogy "The Morningstar Strain"? It started in a suspiciously similar way as this Ebola thing...

20. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

ZOMBIES!!!!! O wait this is less fun :-(