Eating Leather

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by notdku, Sep 22, 2009.

1. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

In a Survival situation can you eat your leather belt?

Too many chemicals, no nutrients?

2. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

You're pretty bad off if you're in a situation where all you have left is your leather belt! :eek:

You would probably be doing more harm than good... it takes a lot of energy to digest food, and I don't know if you'd use more energy digesting a leather belt than you would get out of it???

3. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Plus, you'd have to pull your pants up all of the time...

4. user4

user4 New Member

I've heard a million survival tales of people eating their belts and boots. There has to be something to it. Obviously not nutritional, but something

5. General_lee

General_lee New Member

According to former SAS operative and wilderness survival instructor John "Lofty" Wiseman, you can eat leather as long as you have plenty of water.
    If you don't have water, don't eat.

6. Nomad 1

Nomad 1 New Member

Leather

I too have heard stories of folks eating leather as a last desparate attempt to avoid starvation. I would not think it does anything other than give you a full feeling.

If you look at ship wrecks, there are always boots and belts at the bottom long after everything else is consumed. I figure if the stuff living at the bottom can't digest leather than neither can I. ;)

Anyway, this is interesting.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

I would hope for a looooooooong marinade. :D Seriously though, i'd be digging up some roots & tubers long before i'd get drooly over a belt. If there weren't any roots or tubers, i don't know that i would go after my belt for a snack.

8. zhuk

zhuk New Member

People certainly ate leather during the 900-day siege of Leningrad during WW2. Belts, saddles etc...after all the horses/cats/dogs/rats were already gone. Finally they were reduced to stripping wallpaper & eating the paste. Amazing how strong is the survival instinct.

9. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Charlie Chaplin used to do it, and he was quite fit.

10. markerdown

markerdown New Member

I've eaten mystery meat at the chow hall.. I'd been better off if I ate my combat boot! :D..............markerdown

11. m72law

m72law New Member

damn....better have some strong TEEFERS:Di guess i could eat leather...i eat round steaks every now and then...

12. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Sorry. I thought this was a thread for people who found out the hard way that they weren't cut out for boxing.................

13. freefall

freefall New Member

I've heard you can get some nutritional value from eating rawhide, but cured leather is useless.

14. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

I have been brain tanning deerskin for the better part of 15 years. Modern tanned leather would be useles. The chemical bath process alone will destroy most nutritional value (I have used them a few times but they really are nasty chemicals). I have an extensive library on the old west, civil war, and Rev. war. Many stories about boiling hides and naturally tanned leather to make a soup mixed with any edible vegitation around. To eat your leather coat or the saddlebags on the Harley would probably finish you off rather than save you.

15. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I used to brain-tan hides when I was a kid just to see how they'd come out. I read about it in the Foxfire Books, which I have to say were the most useful and interesting books I have ever read.

16. neo

neo New Member

I have also heard of eating leather in many survival stories, like ships at sea in the 1500's. Of course, this was after they ate everything else. Now, I remember, It was Magellan's crew. Heres a little quote....

"When their food ran out, the hungry sailors ate the rats in the ships' holds, then the leather from the rigging, then sawdust. Many died. Those who remained grew steadily weaker and weaker."

Hmmm... Must have done something, no?

17. Trocar

Trocar New Member

Bear from Man Vs Wild was exposed for the fake he really is. Having a team with him on location wherever he goes. You just never see them. Survivorman is the only legit person making shows like this. And he just finished up as his show.

Wouldn't wood, or some type of bark be better for you than leather? Wood has insoluble fiber, but it's still something other than chemically treated cow skin.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

That statement makes me quite certain that i don't the extras on the DVD set. :p