Eat the rabbits

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by beastmode986, Jul 25, 2013.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I caught a few bunnies munching on my garden, I was already pissed because they dug under the chicken wire and ate my all the beans I had growing. So I went inside and got my air rifle and shot one. Afterwords I grabbed it, bagged it up and put it in the garbage outside. Seems like kind of a waste right? Well I have a question, can I eat them? My dad said I shouldn't because i live in the suburbs and the rabbits eat the chemicals plants have on them??? Whats your opinion on this guys?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Eat em. Long as there arent any parasites under the skin or in the guts or in the meat

3. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Hey, Beast....

Have always heard any month with an "r" is good to eat...
    I am overrun this year and planning on harvesting come Fall....

I need some recipes.....

4. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

So they should be safe to eat???

JonM, how do I know if they are healthy? Should I aim for the heart or head? Last one I shot I hit in the heart

5. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

We are not in Jury.......

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Parasites are very obvious. Looks like tiny crawling worms. People dont tend to eat wild game in the summer. I usually wait till september to shoot the big ones in my yard.

Head shots are best. I use blunts for small game with my longbow when im urban hunting.

7. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Ok thanks, I remember seeing a video and someone said the liver or something should be a certain color????

8. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

do look for the parasites but it should be fine as long as you cook it well. Yummy actually!

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The parasites are easy to spot. The rabbit will have a large "boil" on it's belly. In the "boil" there is a large worm that resembles a maggot. In this area we call the parasites "wolves." Wolves will go away once there is a hard frost. In NC we start hunting rabbits in late October.

If the nuisance rabbits have no wolves I would eat them.

10. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Head shots are the preferred way to get rabbits for the pot or if you hit 1 in the chest/shoulder area just cut the front half off and use the back half(more meat anyway).

When you skin and gut them that's the time to look at the heart/lung area for any abnormalities such as white spots etc. If in doubt discard the carcass.
    Here in Australia some rabbits get a cyst on them around the back legs,belly area and I discard these straight away.

When you split the pelvis have a look after you remove the poop chute around the butt section just under where the tail is and there will be 2 small brown "sacs" either side that you need to remove as these are scent glands and if you don't remove these you'll end up with a gamey taste.
    Gut and skin them as soon as you can and put them on ice to cool them down.
    When I get them home I wash the carcass out in cold water removing any bits of gut, fur etc and then depending on whether I'm going to use them next day or in the future I then soak them in a mixture of cold water and a couple of handfuls of salt or pour some vinegar in to take the bruising out.

I also cut any parts that has blood under the skin and put salt in this as well.

Leave it overnight to soak and then remove from water and dry off and then either cook or put in freezer for later.

Rabbit goes well in a crock pot with veges simmering away for a few hours or baked in honey or roasted stuffed with seasoning. You can also crumb them in pieces.

11. WebleyFosbery38

I used to love chunked up Rabbit battered and deep fried like chicken! Bunny Fritters are pretty tasty!

12. grandpabear

grandpabear New Member

Summer rabbits are also full of tape worms. That is why you see them feed all day. They can't get enough nourishment because of the parasites. The hind quarters are about all that is really safe to eat. They are the best part anyhow.

13. WebleyFosbery38

The Coyotes seem to keep them in check pretty well around here, the not so healthy ones are dinner for them before they have a chance to be dinner for us. That said, our rabbit season starts in the fall and thats when they are as fat and tasty as they will be all year (same with the squirrels).

14. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Talking to a game warden buddy of mine, I was surprised that in Pennsylvania there is a specific hunting season for rabbits, and squirrels. I woulda thought there were fair game anytime.

Heck, the only critters I've found that aren't regulated by Pa game laws are woodchucks and the occasional wild pig or hog.

15. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I would not eat one I shot in the summer. That would go for tree rats too. The worms are not gonna hurt you but I cant stomach the thought.

16. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

The wisest man I have ever known, my father, taught me that meat from a Summer rabbit is not fit to eat.

17. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

You can and should.

18. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Wascalwee wabbits!!! We would not eat them either and in Arkansas we will eat about anything. Late fall early winter that is a whole different story. Also they are covered with ticks and I worked with a guy that swore he contracted tick fever from one.

19. rurak

rurak New Member

What's tick fever? Never heard of it

20. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member