Easy and inexpensive programs to learn a new language?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by beastmode986, Mar 24, 2014.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Well, now that I am home schooled I cant take any language classes at school so I decided to see if my dad will get me a program or dvd's or something so I can learn a new language. I have decided on german but heard the grammar can be difficult. Can anyone recommend a program and tell me about their own experiences?
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Rosetta Stone is still the best program to learn with Dod uses it for language courses and pimsleur is good as well both are quite pricey though

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I married a German. Best program ever. In my youth, I learned other languages by dating too.;) I believe you learn best by hands on experience.:p

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  4. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Only thing I ever learned that way was "aye papi"

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Concur. Then emersion into a country for a few months to reenforce it.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Rosetta is very good. Instead of German, try Spanish for your first time. Grammar is much simpler. The next language comes easier.

Check thru the school system and thru your local libraries to see if such materials may already be on hand, and available for temporary use.

I can visit a local flea market and work on my Spanish, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi, and Pushtu on any Saturday morning. And it is amazing how prices can shrink....:D

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

I hear there are PIRATEs in the BAY, giving away speaking STONEs for free.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I learned to speak German when I met this young lady and wanted to find out if her parents were calling me an a$$hole in their language.

But the best place I learned was in the military.

The second best place was in a german gasthaus buying a couple of beers.

9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Exactly!!!!!!:D

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Russian is pretty simple one you get the alphabet. It's kind of caveman like in grammar. Ya plohka gavareetye pa Rusky. I basically a phonetic version of "I bad speak a little Russian".

11. dyslexic_llama

dyslexic_llama New Member

Rosetta Stone is confusing and honestly quit boring, I disliked the feeling of doing flash cards and being confused about phrases.

Pimsleur you can download on iTunes and take with you, I take it to work and listen while I'm doing stuff.

Pims also has some cheaper courses to learn just the basics that doesn't break the bank quite as much as RS would.

Also a ton of podcasts on iTunes you can listen to, a lot of great ones really help with slang and fillers.

12. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Thanks guys, the only reason I wont learn Russian is because I couldn't roll my tongue for the life of me. I also heard the Russian words are "difficult" ? Plus I've always wanted to learn german, Russian too but germans easier.

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

The alphabet was a pain for me. Try writing or reading Russian in cursive! :eek:

14. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

15. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

16. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Da pa rusky nimnoga . easier but perhaps phoenetically incorrect ? :D

17. stratrider

stratrider New Member

YouTube is chock full of free instructional videos on many languages, German included. You may find German easier than some since, apparently, English is your birth tongue. English is a Germanic language (look it up...). French, Spanish, Italian, Romanian, and Portuguese are all of a Latin origin and share many similarities.

18. JW357

JW357 New Member

I don't recommend Rosetta Stone since you expressed an interest in learning grammar correctly (you're right in doing so).

I tried it about four years ago or so for Farsi and it didn't teach grammar at all. I learned phrases but not much else.

I recommend going to the library and looking for books. Teach yourself basic Spanish. Then go to Mexico for six months.

Immersion is always the best way to learn any language. (Unless you're trying to learn Farsi. I hear Iran is not a nice place for Americans to go).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  19. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Well I am mainly trying to speak fluently, Id rather not spend 500$ on a program though.

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

Again, I recommend the library books. They're free.

And if you really want to get fluent, save your money for a couple years, continuing to learn from library books, then take a summer trip to Mexico. Just a couple months there, starting with a good foundation, will do well for fluency.

Or try a student exchange program. I believe they're open to home schooled individuals.