Easter Piggies

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by AusLach, Apr 24, 2011.

1. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

*Not so much hunting, but feral shooting*

Some mates of mine went on a trip over the Easter/ANZAC Day extra long weekend, but I couldn't go due to work commitments (four five hour shifts at double-time-and-a-half will do that to ya :rolleyes:).

Anyway, I'm beginning to deeply regret my decision, I received this photo late last night. Yes, spotlighting is legal here.

[​IMG]

This lot were picked up with a .25-06 and a thutty-thutty.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Thinning the heard to say the very least. Looks like they had a good time. Do they harvest the meat Aus? What is protocol for this type of hunt!

JD

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Score, now only about a couple thousand more trips like that.

4. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

They'll use one of the small ones for the BBQ, the rest will be used as bait to attract more. The boys are hunting on a property out West where pigs wreak havoc on the cotton crops. The landowner provides free accomodation and use of his 4x4 ute on the basis that every hog seen will meet his demise. In that sense it's not hunting but 'feral animal control' :p

The spotlight is a 5 million candlepower light that connects to the battery of the ute. One person on the back hold the spotty and a maximum of two others hold the rifle/s. Spotlights that are controlled by the driver inside the cab are available, however these are only used when the shooter is also inside the vehicle as the characteristic eye shine is unable to be seen on the back of the ute due to parallax.

Specially trained operators can drop pigs off at the chillers for a profit, however only professional shooters are sufficiently licenced, it's not cost effective for recreational shooters.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011