East German Makarov marking question

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by agregory1994, Jul 22, 2013.

1. agregory1994

agregory1994 New Member

I just purchased my first Makarov at a gun show, and I have learned it is from East Germany, made in 1961. I have a question about one of the markings on the frame under the safety. There is a mark that looks like a backward "s" that is surrounded by dots. If anyone knows what this may be, I would REALLY appreciate some help! Thanks

2. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

In most cases, letter was the initial of the inspector. Legend has it that the circle of dots has a meaning as well. Each dot represents a specific inspection test that was performed on that pistol. The stamp that was used to perform this imprinting has movable punches in the place of each dot. The individual dots could be either selected or deselected, depending on whether that test was performed on that pistol. The absence of dots in the circle pattern does not necessarily mean that the pistol failed those tests, but rather that the tests may not have been performed on that pistol.

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Not sure about your Mak but congratulations on the purchase. Be sure to stop by the introductions forum sometime.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

When I do a google image search I see one pistol taht has a lower case 'a' that could resemble a backward 's' if the imprint strike was light, and th eback line was too faint to see.

Can't see anything definitive on what the mark means. Makarov web sites speculate that a 'y' in that spot may indicate taht it is a training pistol. So I would guess it was a designation or acceptance mark of some sort.