East Coast Situation

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by northhike, Nov 2, 2012.

1. northhike

northhike New Member

If there is one thing I have learned from the stories coming out of the east coast regarding Sandy its that having a good firearm with plenty of ammo is king. My sister lives out there and was a victim of the storm. Society broke down in less than a day with some places charging $14 for a bag of chips , men dressed up as fireman entering homes and robbing them and places charging $1000+ (cash only) for generators. :mad: My Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson say that chips are $2, the generator is "on the house" and oh by the way Mr. Fireman I'll be taking those boots and coat....your hosed. ;)

2. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Really? Where does your sister live?

3. orangello

orangello New Member

I thought guns were a big NO! NO! in NYC and were fairly limited in much of NJ?

4. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  5. Jim1611

Jim1611 New Member

Something I find ironic is that NYC is a liberal stronghold. Now these same people have been telling us for years that the government and police departments can better take care of us that we can ourselves. That we don't need to be able to defend ourselves and what was that thread a while back that the government was considering preppers as terrorist! So here we see people begging for food, water and shelter and they think we should follow their line of thinking. I don't think so!

Something else. The long lines at the gas pumps have been people wanting to fuel their generators. If they had generators why didn't they already have gas? For myself I don't plan to have a generator, not for this typer of reason anyhow. They would be handy working on something away from power but a way to have a fire is better in my book. Keeps you warm and you can cook on it and you don't have to stand in line with a can to have fuel. Many of these people were caught in a bad way and they can only blame themselves, not trying to be harsh but hurricanes do give an advance warning unlike tornados or earthquakes.

There's many lessons to learn from in this disaster. Number one is that you're on your own, but we've known that here for a long time.

6. northhike

northhike New Member

Momouth County by the beach. Its nuts whats happening there. Really makes you think.

7. Vincine

Vincine New Member

All I've read is that some, impersonating utility workers, were trying to steal things in Howard Beach (where my family is), and that there was some gun brandishing in Far Rockaway over a position in a gas line. He was arrested and is up for 15 years, illegal handgun.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  8. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

This is about political contributions.

This one does mention 15 arrested in Far Rockaway

Weekly World News? Are you kidding me? Besides it also doesn't mention anybody actually looting.

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Well, a good generator will cost you $1k + in the middle of the summer when nothing is going on. Mine was $1400, and it's not a super expensive one. You can't just go out and get a thousand gallons of gas for it, gas goes bad in a month. So, you have to get a supply ASAP when something is about to happen.

And seriously, who in the hell is concerned with getting some chips when their house is blowing away? And tell me, why would I just give someone my generator, when they were the ones who didn't prepare ahead of time?

11. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Well...this time of year I have alot of AM Radio interference throughout the spectrum. So...I can't always recieve George Noory on Coast to Coast AM...my go to source for news. I sometimes resort to WWN.... my number two news source in a crisis.

12. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

gas goes bad in a month? really **** ive used fuel 6 months old ran just fine also they make additive so it dont go bad we have a 500 gallon fuel tank for the farm and in winter we hardly use it stays great

13. orangello

orangello New Member

This is my problem with gun control laws: Had this idiot "brandished" a sword, he would've been arrested for assault or something along those lines. Instead, he is arrested for an illegitimate and unconstitutional POS "law"like having an "illegal" firearm; there should be no such thing as an illegal gun.

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yes, that's what I'm told. Around here we have 10% ethanol in our gas. It evaporates quicker than the gas does, and screws up carburetors, if left in them. Not all the time, though. If you add stabilizer, you can stretch it out some. Really, the key seems to be to keep this gas out of your carbs until it's time to use it. Or, start engine every 2 weeks to run new gas into the carb. 2 years ago, this problem got my sled, and it cost almost $600 to get it running again. With a generator, you'd be out of luck, since you would need it to run on the spot.......

Having said all that, I've put 2 stroke gas mix in my chainsaw left over from the previous season, and it ran fine. Go figure.....

15. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Here are the details:

Sean Bailey, 35, was cuffed shortly after he pointed a pistol at a driver who complained when he zipped ahead in his white 2010 BMW to the front of a lengthy line for gas at a station located at the intersection of Astoria Boulevard and 43rd Street on Thursday, November 1, said the district attorney.

“If you don’t pull back, you’re not getting gas tonight,” Bailey allegedly said to a 29-year-old motorist during the early morning dispute, according to a criminal complaint.

Cops later found a loaded .25 caliber Phoenix Raven pistol in Bailey’s left boot at the ankle after his arrest at around 3 a.m., officials said.

He is charged with second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, second-degree menacing and faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted, the district attorney said.

I think he's an *******.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My Honda 3000 generator has a valve that cuts off the fuel supply to the carb. Turn it off while the engine is running and the carb will run dry. Just takes an extra couple of seconds to start. The Honda is also very quiet. We have a 5th wheel trailer that can act as an emergency shelter. In an advanced warning situation it would be fully prepared. Generator, solar, propane and 50 gallons of fresh water on board. The fridge, stove water heater and furnace can all run on propane.
    You can get propane powered generators if you are worried about long term fuel storage. A good propane camp stove and/or propane BBQ with tank adapters. Dont forget a lantern. I keep my eye out for the 5 gallon propane tanks at yard sales. Exchange them for a full tank for $15-20 at markets.

17. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yup. There's the understatement of the day......

JTJ, I have a Generac with the same shutoff, and I do that, also. However, I have been told that running the motor to drain the carb doesn't always work. There can be some left in there. Currently, I use Tru-Fuel, which contains no alcohol, and is supposed to stay fresh for 2 years. It's $7 a quart, but is actually cheap insurance.
    I know what you mean about Honda's being quiet. That brand was my 1st choice, but in the end, I couldn't justify the extra expense....

18. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

maybe gettin fuel from the co op is diffrente type ive never had fuel go bad and ive let it sit in motors all winter never firing them up but maybe once in 5-6months

19. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had multiple problems with the 10% ethanol gas over the last eight years or so. Serious problems, since carburetors aren't cheap. Stabilizer didn't seem to help that much. I finally installed cut-off valves on my mowers, pressure washer and generators so I can run
    carbs dry for storage. Some Honda carbs come with a bowl drain valve. I also found a fuel place that has gas without ethanol…and I use stabilizer.

My problem with propane-fueled generators is that they don't seem to be as efficient as gas. My preference is a diesel powered unit. They cost more but the fuel is stable and they get more hours per gallon of run time. Any way you cut it, running a generator even a few hours a day is very expensive. They will go through an amazing amount of fuel.