easiest way to 922r compliance for Saiga

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by cnorman18, Aug 30, 2007.

1. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

Okay, so I've contracted with an excellent gunsmith to alter a new Saiga sporter to take AK magazines, and otherwise leave it alone, which is what I wanted. He'll leave making the gun 922r compliant to me. Great; I'm getting a first-class AK at a very low price. So far, so good. Obvious next question; what's the easiest way to comply with this peculiar law?(Corollary question, purely from curiousity--I'm no lawbreaker, even a little bit--but how would anyone know if I didn't? Are these guns subject to periodic inspection? If we're all going to all this trouble to obey the law, who's watching the store?)

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

922r

To my knowlege there would be no way for ATF to track you (or any other possessor of a modifiable post 922r weapon) unless A- the FFL dealer you purchased from goes out of business and turns the 4473 forms over to them or B- The gunsmith that does the modification reports the mod to ATF.

The issue is if the weapon ever falls into LE hands (is stolen/recovered or you are stopped/arrested) and a savy LEO knows what to look for.

Realisticlly, the chances of it happening are very slim.

3. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

Thanks

Thanks; that's pretty much what I thought. It's moot, anyway; I've determined that the simplest route is to confine myself to using US-made magazines (3 parts) and change out the gas piston for a US-made one (1 part), thus giving me 4 US parts out of a total of 14 that count--which makes the gun legal.

Gee, don't you just feel safer knowing my gas piston will be US-made and not Russian-made? It's a pleasure to obey the law when it's so vitally important and intelligently written...

(they really need an icon with rolling eyes on this forum)

4. allmons

allmons New Member

The best way to be compliant is REPEAL THE RULES

Then we need to shut down BATFE.

:p

5. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

S*** happens

Well, that's the way it goes.

Thanks for the advice, but I had a fender-bender tonight and the cash I'd saved up for my Saiga will be going for auto repairs.

Maybe someday.

6. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

7. slickfly2

slickfly2 New Member

Whole kits

Im looking to change my saiga 7.62x39 to take the standard mags where can i find a kit that does this. Also do they have kits to take the standard mag and make the gun 922r compliant ?

8. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

slick,

Check either of those links I posted earlier. Hope that helps.

Slo