Ear protection

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by buddee, Sep 1, 2013.

1. buddee

buddee New Member

I was wondering if anybody has electronic ear protection and how they like them? I use the standard 85 or 90 db pair but was wanting something that worked better.

2. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

I shoot indoors and they work OK and I also use foam plug with them. :)

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I shoot with electronic earmuffs. They work great.

4. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I always used electronic ones when I was teaching. They worked fine.

5. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

What? . .. really, have had some hearing loss over the years. Good to hear people like the electronic ones.
    I use the old fashion type, but have moved to 33s.

No one has mentioned brand names, model and price paid, that would sure be nice.

6. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I use the cheap electronic ones from Bass Pro and they work just fine and cost around $20. If I'm going to be shooting a lot or indoors where the echo can be greater I will use double hearing protection by adding foamies.

If you're looking for more protection just try both, it's what we are required to use in the Air Force around really loud things.

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

They are awesome on hunts. You can hear x3 times better with my Peltors. Nothing gets by me and tracking is easier. The gun shots also sound cool, because your ears are not completely blocked to sound. Oh, you can hold normal conversations on the range too.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I got a cheap set from Academy. They turn off when you fire or clap loud. I think they were $25-$30.

9. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff $44 at amazon.

10. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

You mean cigarette butts dont work?

11. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I have a hard time depending on anything that uses batteries. That being said, lots of people use them at the range I belong to and they seem to work fine. I use cheap ear plugs in combination with Remington green plastic ear muffs. If the labeling is correct it is a combined reduction in decibels of 63+. That's more than enough to keep even very loud handguns in a comfortable hearing range. Of course, the trade off is my total inability to carry on a conversation with anyone while the line is hot. good luck

12. 01bullitt

01bullitt New Member

Try a pair of the Howard Leigh electronic ones, they're awesome and the slimness is nice. Have never had a battery problem, just replace the AAA's every few months. They pick up low level sounds so you can hear real well, footsteps sound cool in gravel with them on. But they cut out loud sounds as well. It's the tits

13. buddee

buddee New Member

Seems like the best bet is to use foam plugs with the ear muffs. I'm not worried about the price or batteries. Just want the best protection for my ears.

14. mdauben

mdauben New Member

+1

Thats the way to go. When you're an old fart like me your ears will thank you for it. :D

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

What did you say? You'll need to speak up.

16. 304inc

304inc New Member

Damn mountainman did you lose your job or something? Last time I was on here you had like 1000 Posts,,,,
    Just joking about losing your job, it's only funny if its not true...

17. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Actually I quit. I don't work well with others. Prefer not to share my profits. I'm still doing plenty of work.

18. 304inc

304inc New Member

Good to hear your doing well, ZG start classes already I suppose.

19. 304inc

304inc New Member

Im thinking of Fathead and ZG, I think.....
    I couldn't figure out my damn password, had start a new handle..mad.