Ear Protection

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Magnum27, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

Am new too shooting and need to get some ear protection. Is it worth it to get the electronic muffs or are the standard $25 normal ones ok? Also do people use ear plugs with the ear muffs?

Thanks!

2. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I have both. The electronic ones are great when you need to hear others and don't want to keep taking them off. The standard ones work fine too. Just depends on your needs. Plugs work too.

3. jmeekhof

jmeekhof New Member

I use the cheap orange foam ones. Something like 32 db rating I think is ample. Also have cheap muffs but like the plugs better.

4. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I got electronic ones for less than $25. Check out the off brands at bass pro or online, mine work great for me.

Wearing both will provide better protection than just one but it's more to think about and some/many people don't think it's needed, that's a personal choice.

5. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Take it from someone who has constant ringing in the ears, wear ear protection every time you shoot or are around shooting! I should have worn protection when bird shooting and target shooting when I was young and going through lots of rounds. I would be in much better shape than I am today. I now wear plugs even when mowing the lawn. The soft ear plugs do a very good job of lowering the sound level reaching the ear, but I also wear my muffs when shooting high power rifles to make in mo betta. Your mileage might vary, but just sayin'.

6. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

Any suggestions? Ideally I am looking in the $25-$35 range and would like electric if possible since I will be mostly indoor shooting and will be going with other people. Thanks in advance.

7. redfox

redfox New Member

I Use electric just to make it easier to hear while talking. Either work fine. My wife will use ear plugs in addition. If you have a harbor freight store they usually have the electric for 15.

8. pabyanghao

pabyanghao New Member

it just depends on how would you use it. i go for standard ones because that's what i am using now.

PH

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  9. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I recently tried the electronic muffs for the first time and I am glad I did. They work very well and I would highly recommend their use. Above all, use some form of hearing protection when shooting.

10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

As someone a bit seasoned and suffering some hearing loss, I want to stop it from getting any worse...

If you need the electronic ones, be advised that most are very limited in their noise control. When shooting anything bigger (9mm+), I try and double up with foam too. If you don't need the electronic ones, then by all means go with the higher db rated passive muffs. I tried a pair of 32db at an indoor range and was really impressed with how quiet the range was :)

I have peltor 6 and they are very limited... and battery changing is tough. I also have the Howard Leight R-01526, which are a little better, but instead of cutting off the amplified sound like the peltors, they limit the amplified sound... both have their advantages. The HL's also have an input jack, which will be great for cutting the lawn :)

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

As long as you use one or all you mentioned-
    I have a permenate ringing in both ears 24/7 from not useing anything back in my young stupid nothing can hurt me i'm too cool & tuff to use sissy ear protection days :(

12. vincent

vincent New Member

Hearing protection is cheap enough for you to have all kinds of options. The electronic ones work well, so do the regular over the ear muffs. Go to Home Depot, buy a box of yellow foamies, they're reusable (if you wash 'em), try out all kinds of combo's and find which one works best for you...I usually just use whatever I grab first...

13. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

Get Howard Leight ones if on a budget, they are pretty good for range use or opt for the MSR Sordin (pricey) which the audio qualities of the MSR are excellent.

With the Sordin - while in the house I can hear light footsteps and which direction its coming from very easily, can also pick up water dripping from the bathroom faucet that would be too faint to hear without, I laugh when I hear guys yelling very loud cause they can barely hear each other at the range but everyone with electronic muffs can hear every word. Especially funny when they're speaking of your gun and think you cannot hear them. LOL!

Aside from the fun benefits, both muffs do a great job blocking out the harmful decibels from the firearm's report.

Pictured below the Colt LE6920 is a MSA Sordin Supreme X:
    [​IMG]

http://www.botachtactical.com/msasosuproxe.html <<<I don't advocate botach but just providing a link to the product.

Avoid the electronic muffs that have individual volume controls for the left and right sides. That will get very annoying at the range. Also - especially if indoors double up on your ears with foam in the ears then muffs over. Its your hearing, once its gone its gone.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  14. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I use the orange ear plugs with the string which costed me less than $5 maybe? Not sure the price was. But work great and till then i always leave my ear muffs at home. ;)

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

We have those at work- Shoot, they ain't but about a buck a set & WAY better than nothing :cool:
    I now carry a couple sets in my truck & range bag along with muffs :eek:

16. levelcross

levelcross New Member

At the range I use foam plugs if it is not crowded, if it is crowded the I put cheap muffs over the foam plugs. I can barely hear now as it is, I can't afford to loose any more hearing.

17. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Here's a link to Amazon and these look exactly like the one's I have except mine don't have a brand name on them.

http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Max-Profile-Electronic-Muffs/dp/B001B8ONZI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2

They get good reviews on Amazon and are less than $30 with shipping.