Ear Protection?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ejewels, May 18, 2010.

1. ejewels

ejewels New Member

So this may be a stupid / newbie question, but I'm curious. I've shot all calibers a few times, and not once ever have I shot without ear protection! I'm tempted to take the ears off just to see. Are there any calibers tolerable, or that won't be too annoying? Does anyone ever shoot WITHOUT ears?

2. bigtiller

bigtiller New Member

Even a 22 revolver with shorts will make your eares ring and if shot a dozen times they will be hurting. I have shot everything I own just once without ear protection just to know what it is like. Be carefull if you do this, pick a wide open area with a good backstop so the noise can get away from you.

I just picked up a S&W 357 Highway Patrolman that i am not going to fire without ear plugs --- ever. Unless I have to.

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

There aren't too many cals tolerable with handguns, maybe the .22 lr. I doubt seriously that there would be permanant damage from a couple of rounds of most calibers. I've experienced .38 special, .40 S&W, .357 mag and .45 acp without ear protection. Not a pleasure at all. Ringing lasts for a while, and I would not suggest doing so just for fun. I am not a doctor, so don't take my word for it.

When hunting, I do not use ear protection. Also when hunting, I am not shooting all the time.

4. mcramer

mcramer New Member

I'm no doctor either, but i recommend using hearing protection while shooting. Hunting and life or death situations would probably be the only time i wouldn't use hearing protection. If I'm deer hunting I would probably have some plugs around my neck or in my pocket. I even wear hearing protection when I play my drums, live and practicing.

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I don't use muffs all the time shooting a 22 rifle. Most others I have heard "unplugged" but I really don't recommend it. I've played drums for years and that has hurt my hearing bad enough. I don't need any more adding to the hearing problem.:)

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I don't recommend shooting without protection. My ears ring all the time from working on jets for 6 years and i used hearing protection. Just when all seems quiet they ring loud as hell. Don't shoot without them unless needed, that's my advice.

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Tinnitus (not sure on the spelling) isn't it? It's kept me up more than a few nights. I have to keep some background noise going or it will drive me nuts.

8. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

Pfft what are ear plugs? lol j/k:D I've shot just about everything I have once or twice with out muffs or plugs. Just to get the idea of how loud each gun is. i do not suggest doing it all the time. Play it safe use your muffs and or plugs.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Had a hearing test yesterday. I've lost tone in my left ear and starting to lose some in the right. One time without ear plugs could start problems that you will not see now, but can crop up later. Have you ever been to a meeting of gun people and wonder why the so many yell at each other? It's not because they are angry.

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Used to do it as a kid before I knew better. I shot everything from a 22lr pistol to a 45-70 Marlin lever gun with out ears on.

Now I am paying for it with 30 to 40% hearing loss and a ringing in my ears that sometimes drives me batty.....

NEVER EVER shoot with out eyes or ears.

1 shot from any gun even a 22lr pistol will damage your hearing no ifs ands or buts about it. What happens is because the noise is so loud and it gets transmitted through the outer ear to the middle ear it causes the bones to move to quickly this causes a sharp spike in the pressure of the cochlear part of the ear. This part is fluid filled and has tiny microscopic nerve endings in it that are smaller than a hair when the sharp wave comes through it breaks the ends of the nerves off and thus causes the ringing in your ears.

so again DO NOT EVER shoot with out hearing protection.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'll shoot a .22 rifle w/o ear protection, but nothing else. The long barrel keeps the source far enough away to be manageable. I will not shoot my .22 pistol w/o ears however. I was out in the desert years ago and shot my .40 w/ nothing on, and decided that was the last time I would do that. You've only got one set of ears, and they are fairly easily damaged. Protect them.

If you do decide to test it out, never, Never, NEVER, NEVER do it at an enclosed range!

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Another old phart here- have shot everything from a .17 to a 106 mm recoiless rifle without hearing protection.

And you will spend a lot of time saying "What?".

I now wear foam plugs under my muffs when shooting. I will never regain what I lost. If you are smart, you will wear eyes and ears whenever you shoot. The only exception to that would be a SUPPRESSED .22

13. steve666

steve666 New Member

The only time that I've gone without in the last 30 years is while hunting or in an emergency situation. Being an old country boy (emphasis on the old [​IMG]part) I grew up shooting without hearing protection. And we certainly didn't have it in combat. Now there are certain sound ranges where I find it hard to hear. [​IMG]

14. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Hearing loss is no fun. I was in a group of guys yesterday, and one was rather soft spoken. I could not understand a lot of what he said. Everyone else seemed to hear him just fine. At home with the SO if I set the volume of the TV she says it's too loud. It is loud with all the effect noses, but when it's just talking I have trouble understanding. If she sets the volume I catch about half of what is being said.

Don't fvck with your ears!!!

15. steve666

steve666 New Member

The only time I don't wear hearing protection is when hunting or in a self defense situation. Being an old country boy (emphasis on the old [​IMG] part), I grew up shooting without hearing protection. And we certainly didn't have them in combat. Now there are certain frequencies of sound that I can't hear along with the ones that I don't want to.[​IMG]

16. ejewels

ejewels New Member

I've shot a 22 rifle without ears, thats about it... it was outdoors so it wasn't that loud. I've also played in rock bands growing up... so I've already lost a little. I just find it hard to believe that a few shots of a .40 or something will make you permanently lose hearing...

for calibers, is it the smaller the caliber the less the noise? So a 9mm would not be as loud as a .44 mag or .45?

17. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I have taken the muffs off with a few handgun calibers,and man are handguns loud.The .22lr is somewhat tolerable,and a couple of shots with a .38 isn't too bad,but don't do it with a .357 or anything like that!you will be sorry when your ear is numb 3 hours later.

18. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Hearing loss runs in my family, so I use ear plugs. I have shot all my firearms without them though.

19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Even with the 22lr, hearing loss can still happen. Why do you want to expose yourself to such danger? I would not shoot without eye protection to see what it is like, nor hearing protection. These are all the eyes and ears you are ever going to get. Protect them.