Ear protection/need new ear muffs

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by Jtelli71, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

I shoot every week (indoor range) and have some basic $10/$20 ear muffs I use, but I am becoming very sensative to the noise. The range I go to could have rifles, shotguns, handguns all being shot on the same range all the time. I want a.nice pair of muffs. Can you all recommend some, maybe electronic and non. I will pay the extra $$ needed for a good pair. My hearing is worth it. Advise and thanks...

2. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I usually double up I that situation. Disposable plugs and cheap muffs. Have to admit, I still jumped when the guy next to me pulled the trigger on his 500s&w

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

I always double up. Ear plugs and muffs. It's amazing how much it helps

4. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I double up with ear plugs also, but for muffs, I use the electronic muffs.

5. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I am going to be shooting a Barret next week, and after seeing these posts I think double up is a good idea. I have good electronic muffs, but I hear this beast is louder than a .22.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

when shooting my SBR I double up , its stupid loud but the fireballs that come out of the end are EFFin awesome ;)

7. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

I am doubling up with plugs and muffs. I think I may try a version of the howard leight electronic muffs. They seem to get good reviews on youtube. I also checked out proears, but I don't have $250-$300 to spend on muffs. My max would be around $150.

8. hoovco

hoovco New Member

I have a pair of peltor electronic muffs. Around 60 bucks. They're pretty awesome and they fit under an ACH.

9. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

What model peltor muffs?

10. hoovco

hoovco New Member

The tactical 6S. The only thing I don't like about em is the muff part that touches your skin is that smooth plastic that sucks when you sweat. I fixed mine with some moleskin.

11. barnes298

barnes298 New Member

You can find quality ear muffs in various online shops. They will help you in meeting your requirement at fair prices. Do visit the online shops.

12. russ

russ New Member

I have the Howard Leight Impact Pro Electronic Earmuffs and really like them for the price. The ear cups are quite a bit bigger than the Impact Sport, but they didn't seem to be in the way shooting my AR. They are a huge step up from the cheapo Caldwell electronic muffs I had.

Also, +1 on the double up for any indoor range.

13. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

I have 3M Peltor Ultimate 10 Hearing Protector I got from Amazon. NNR 30 db. A little bulky, but they are really comfortable, quiet, and I never have ringing in my ears, even after shooting next to a guy with a .50 cal Desert Eagle for a half hour. Can't beat $20, and you can always double up.