Ear protection/military curious

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by WDbeej, Oct 18, 2011.

1. WDbeej

WDbeej New Member

OK, I go to the range and I wear ear protection.

I am watching "Snipers Inc" on NatGeo and the Barretts are out shooting the M107 and they are wearing ear protection.

I then see the military using the M107 and I notice that I do not see ear protection on them in military situations so I begin to wonder;

With their helmets on, are our soldiers (and sailors) utilizing any kind of hearing protection in combat situations? Or, does the ability to potentially hear someone sneaking up on their position prevent military personel from protecting their hearing while firing any weapon including the Barrett?

2. woody63m

woody63m New Member

I never wore ear protection the whole 13 months I was there

3. WDbeej

WDbeej New Member

Do you have any hearing issues?

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The military has learned about hearing over the years. While I was in, during training, I never once fired a weapon without hearing protection, they were nuts about it.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

I always used ear pro on during training, never in combat.

I was a SAW gunner, and yes I do have hearing problems now.

I don't blame anyone for it, it's just the nature of the game.

6. WDbeej

WDbeej New Member

What about in combat situations?

7. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

You definitely use hearing pro anytime while training, but during combat everything happens so fast you don't have time to throw them in. I guess you could always leave the wire with them in but then you can't hear commands as well, or send and recieve traffic over the net.

8. woody63m

woody63m New Member

Yes I do I to was a saw gunner

9. fireguy

fireguy New Member

At the gun show in Wichita I saw some "combat" hearing protection that I've never come across before. They were selling for a buck a pair I think. Made just like normal foam earplugs, but had a port that could be opened or closed to allow more sound in. I don't know if these are used in any of the militaries or not, but they looked interesting.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

MOST old soldiers, especially combat arms, spend a lot of time saying "Huh?" Artillery folks used to be REAL bad, but most of them finally started using some kind of hearing protection. Infantrymen use plugs on muffs on the range, not in combat.

Prior to the DRAGON and TOW anti-tank missles, we had the M40 106mm Recoiless Rifle, and the M67 90mm Recoiless. They made small rocks dance on the ground when you fired them.

11. EagleSix

EagleSix New Member

I had a guy firing full auto short burst with the muzzle lined up with my right ear about 6-12". Not only was it loud I could feel the blast on my face. I couldn't hear for about 2 days and had ringing in my ear for about a week. That was about forty years ago and believe it or not, I have pretty good hearing today! We did not have ear protection during battle. On the other hand I know of many soldiers not as fortunate as myself. It was really hard on the artillery guys.

As civilians, during field training these days, we quite often wear electronic muffs to protect our hearing, with an ear piece and bomb mike for radio talk.

12. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Never had on a pair when I was in service. But then that was some time ago.

13. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

C3Shooter is preaching the truth!!! Us Red-Legs HATE wearin earpro!! We like loud booms, plus ear pro is eady to lose. Here on our Firing Point in Afghanistan we have a box of cheap foam ear pro, but it only gets used by people who come to watch us shoot. But you do get ALOT of "HUH?" and "SAY AGAIN OVER" because of it.

14. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

being in the aircraft side of the house, we are always wearing ear protection, and while near running engines, we double up (foamies plus the ear muffs)

When I was deployed as an advisor, we'd convoy and fly around all over the country with Afghans in their Mi-17s, and had ear pro in all the time. guess we just got used to wearing it and it was never a problem.

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I never personally saw combat but from fellow Marines I talked to hearing protection was never worn or wanted....Being able to hear those around you and communication trumped protecting your ears from gunfire.

16. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I have tinnitus in both ears from loud bangs and a 30 percent hearing loss in my left ear from a mortar than hit close, but that isn't as bad as others I've seen or know. The last thing on your mind when you take fire is "where are my ear pros".