EAA Witness in 9mm.....worth it?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by StainlessSteel215, Jan 9, 2013.

1. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

Looking to scoop up a decent backup target shooter with high cap. Been looking at these for years but never really took one serious. They seem to be a decent value for the money. Looking at the 4.5" barrel and holds 16+1. DA/SA and comes with 3-dot sights. NIB

[​IMG]

All this for $345 shipped.

I realize for an extra $150 I could pick up another Glock, Springfield, S&W, etc. I dunno, looking to try something new and expand my palette ya know?

Anyone own or shoot one of these....feedback?

2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Never handled or shot one, but I'd still say do it. Never read anything negative about the maker, only positive thus far about the specific gun. I'd say do it.

3. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Don't know a whole lot about them. I knew a guy that had one in .45 years ago. He was an avid shooter and said he really liked his.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Look close enough and you will see the resemblence of a CZ-75.

You should do okay with it.

5. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

Do it!!! :D

6. StainlessSteel215

I thought the same thing, same overall shape and interaction of the slide w frame, also has the small height of the slide....the short rail, etc. Also considering the CZ P-07 Duty heavily against this EAA gun. I would REALLY like to own a CZ poly since I dont have the money for a CZ-75B at this time

Its funny how the words of complete online strangers gives me comfort lol...thanks fellas I think I need to take the plunge

7. stig

stig New Member

I Have The CZ Sp01 and if it shoots anything like it youll be happy especially for $345. Guess the only question I would have would be how long will it hold up ? if your gonna use this at the range your probably gonna put some ammo through it.

8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

EAA pistols share the CZ design feature of the slide riding "inside" the frame instead of outside like most other manufacturers.

This design lowers the bore axis and reduces muzzle flip...similar claim as GLOCK but achieved with a "hammer" gun.

The downside to it is there is a lot less slide to grab should you need to clear a stoppage.

Personally, that's never been a problem for me and my CZ75B is one of the best shooting pistols I own.

I think you'll be happy with ^^THIS^^ pistol...especially at that price!

Tack

9. StainlessSteel215

Thanks Tack, that was very re-assuring to hear, despite the shallow slide depth which I already took into account. Will likely pick this up in the next couple of days.

10. hidyhowareya

hidyhowareya New Member

I own a Jericho 941/Baby Eagle 9mm that is based on the CZ and EAA design. It is a great shooter and accurate.

11. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Your Welcome...:)

12. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I have a Witness Elite Match in .45. It is a lot of pistol for the money. Extremely accurate & reliable.
    I can't speak to the polymer guns. I presume they are going to do OK.
    Check into it (if they are compatible), you might be able to do the caliber conversions like on the metal frame models. One of these days I'll get off my butt & order the 10 mm conversion for mine. As I recall they are quite reasonably priced.
    Have you handled one? Be advised, they are not for people with little tiny hands. As far as size is concerned, they are closer of the CZ 97, not the CZ75.
    Also, fairly or not, EAA customer service has developed a reputation for being crappy when it comes to warranty claims. I haven't needed them, so I have no direct experience.

13. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

EAA Witness is a derivative of the CZ-75 and actually helped supply the parts early on with the Jericho/Baby Eagle production when it was first produced due to also being based on the CZ-75.

I personally avoided the Witness over the Baby Eagle because I didn't like the fit and finish. That does NOT mean it is a bad gun. It has an excellent pedigree and I actually use Witness magazines in my Baby Eagle. I was more concerned about reliability but I would be shocked if it wasn't just as accurate as the Baby Eagle and CZ-75.

The slide width and height is a bit of an issue. With practice it is easily overcome. I think it is a good trade-off for a slimmer gun and a tighter fit between the slide and frame.

14. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

The witness p carry is a brother to the cz p07 duty. Fabulous firearms

15. StainlessSteel215

This gun is officially on its way into my home. Just ordered from Bud's for even cheaper! $330 shipped!

Read so many great reviews on this gun that frankly I'm surprised it isnt getting more attention (and a bigger price tag) for a quality, reliable, accurate, hi cap target shooter in 9mm. I love the full length slide rail where it meets the frame. That is probably responsible along with a nice bore axis for the gun's accuracy I read about. Will do a full range report in a few weeks :)

16. FrontierTCB

Great. Looking forward to the results. Hope you like it.

17. indy36

indy36 New Member

I had an EAA Witness 9mm for 10 years. I had the all steel version. It held 17 rounds. It was a great gun. It's a clone of the CZ75, which is a well respected firearm. You'll like it.

18. StainlessSteel215

What a gun! It sure is a clone to the CZ in a poly frame and for MUCH less....

Took it to the range last night and fed it 100 rounds of 115gr Remington UMC. Fed like a champ. I like the way this gun feels in my hand, the balance and bore axis, smooth action and a decent SA trigger....everything feels tight and decent quality. So far I'm a happy camper. The DA trigger is INSANELY long and heavy though. The tiny slide was a bit weird getting used to and I was shooting a bit low.....just need to calibrate to this new gun but what a steal!

I'll post up some pics at some point. Not the prettiest gun out there but has some unique signature elements to it that are growing on me fast. Love it so far. Great hi cap backup gun/target shooter in 9mm.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  19. FrontierTCB

Glad you like it. Do you happen to know if they produce them in .40?

20. StainlessSteel215

Not sure about that. I'm also have a VERY hard time finding extra mags for this model....