E-commerce and wholesaler recommendations?

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by lkd, Aug 27, 2011.

1. lkd

lkd New Member

Well, all my paperwork has gone in the mail and is heading to the ATF. My next step is to get an online shop set up. I was curious what experience/recommendations have? I was looking at either a DIY solution like OpenCart or a paid solution like Shopify. Not sure what lessons some of you would have to the tune of, "If I could do it all over again..." :)

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I'm in the same boat and the problem I have been running into when looking at wholesalers is that most of them want you to be a brick and motar store before they will supply you. There are a couple that do e commerce shops and 1 that will even drop ship. What has been your experience?

3. wolfejp

wolfejp New Member

Try Sports south and Lipsey's for your wholesalers. As fare as ecomerce is concerned Godady offers a good shopping cart with e-commerce.

4. suarezcm

suarezcm New Member

ATF WANTS BRICK AND MORTOR for FFL

I'm in San Antonio and I am a Retired Disabled Army Veteran
    Would like to run my Gunsmith/Re loader Business from home and get an FFL
    ATF is Busting my Chops
    Would like to sell Custom unique firearms and buy wholesale
    Have an Appt with a lawyer Monday
    Applied for C&R license in the meantime
    Thanx for listening
    I know this is a common problem but I thought there would be away around it being Disabled!:mad:
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you Brothers and Sisters with a cause:D

5. lkd

lkd New Member

How are they busting your chops? If you're doing what's considered manufacturing, they have special considerations for it. I'm curious why they're being difficult, if you've done everything you should?

How can a lawyer help? Is this a lawyer that specializes in ATF negotiations?

Offhand, this might not help your case.

I'm a disabled vet too, there is no special consideration the AFT gives to disabled vets. Their sole interest is _supposed_ to be 1) Verifying that you have passed the background checks to sell weapons, and 2) Verifying that you intend to operate a legitimate business.

6. ttolhurst

ttolhurst New Member

So what's the problem?

You referred to brick and mortar; you will absolutely need premises from which you can conduct a gunsmithing business in accordance with all state and local laws. If you're trying to do this as a home-based business, you'll be at the tender mercies of your local government, not ATF.

7. lkd

lkd New Member

True, but in most parts of Texas, there really aren't any problems. Lord knows we have a severe lack of gunsmiths as it is. I think the core issue is whether the ATF thinks somebody is set up to actually operate a business or just a hobby. I'm still waiting my inspection from the ATF, and my business is currently home-based, but this is temporary, and I have dedicated office/armoring-space set up that clearly shows this isn't a "kitchen dealer" thing (not to mention a complete LLC, _not_ set up in <My Name>, LLC), and an operational plan to expand into a brick-and-mortar.

8. ttolhurst

ttolhurst New Member

It's no great barrier here in rural Maine either, but if one lives in a condominium in a city, it could be a very different story.