Dust cover removal- help!!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by LaiePoi, Dec 3, 2012.

1. LaiePoi

LaiePoi New Member

Hey guys I bought a new dust cover with American flag and made in USA wording and wanted to put it on my Noveske but as I'm looking at it I can't see any way to get the dust cover pin out without removing either the forward assist or NSR handrail. Is removing the forward assist even possible? It looks like just two pins need to be punched out (1 vert & 1 horizontal) but not sure never done it before. If anyone knows how to remove the forward assist could you please help me? Here are some pics of the area. Oh and it's a VLTOR MUR upper receiver if that matters. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. LaiePoi

LaiePoi New Member

Took a shot in the dark and got it installed without messin it up...Whew!!

Attached Files:

3. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Looks cool!

So how did you do it? I know you have to punch out one of the pins in the forward assist, but which one?

4. LaiePoi

LaiePoi New Member

There are two pins that hold it together...one that goes in horizontally thru the FA and thru the receiver and the other one that goes in vertically just thru the FA to keep the push nob/spring in place. I first took out the horizontal pin thinking it would come off but I had to actually take off the second pin as well and it comes right off. It was pretty easy to get the new dust cover on with the FA off. The hardest part was getting the vertical pin back in because you gotta hold the little push nob down while you tap the pin back in to hold it in place and that pin can take a beating its pretty hard to get back in there...my punch started to bend. But I got it in with 2 minor scratches..blehh! It took me a while to get it done because I dropped the dang tiny C-ring when putting the dust cover back on. I was looking on the floor for it for like half an hr before I found it on the table right in front of me haha. Yes it is that small! Happy it's done though I like the dust cover engraving a lot it's a nice touch

5. ZeusEcho

Yeah man looks nice! I tried doing one on my VLTOR upper and barely moved the horizontal pin but started bending the punch. I gave up cause I was too scared to scratch it.

6. LaiePoi

LaiePoi New Member

Nah man you should do it! I was scared too but didn't want to waste the dust cover plus it looks way better than plain black. I was more scared that I would not be able to get everything back together because I wasn't sure if it required some special tools but luckily it didn't. It's actually pretty easy. I prob wouldn't have scratched it at all if I had it in a vice. I don't have a vice block for the upper yet (only lower) so I just held it in my lap while holding the punch with one hand and hammering it in with the other. You could just electrical tape it up around the holes and be safe but like I said its two minor scratches not really noticeable unless you already know its there.

7. ZeusEcho

That's a nice lookin upper you got there, would love to see a pic of the whole rifle.

I already put it on my BCM instead and looks kick-*** so all is well :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  8. LaiePoi

LaiePoi New Member

Very nice! Cool dual color handguard. I was gonna do a bcm as my first build but it's so hard to get the BCG ill have to do that one next. I'm still waiting on my Spike's buffer tube assembly kit to finish my build so its not actually all put together yet but here I just laid the stock next to the receivers and this is basically what it will look like and here's what parts I used

-Noveske Afghan 14.5 barrel
    -Battle comp 1.5
    -Noveske NSR 13.5 modular handguard
    -VLTOR MUR upper
    -Spike's Lower with their enhanced LPK
    -Magpul STR
    -Troy folding BUIS (M4 style)
    -Aimpoint H1 with high mount (1/3 cowitness)

Attached Files:

9. LaiePoi

LaiePoi New Member

Sorry I know it's a really bad picture and lighting but ill try get a better on for you when I get the buffer tube kit installed

10. 1911love

1911love New Member

Laie:
    How do you like that Spikes lower? I was considering buying one, but their website says a 8-12 month back order. Where did you buy and how much?

11. LaiePoi

LaiePoi New Member

http://www.hawktecharms.com/Spikes-Tactical-AR15-Stripped-Lower-p/st-slr-bm.htm

I got it here at Hawktecharms.com if you want one you should get it ASAP because it says there is only 1 left in stock! I like it a lot really nice lower and no probs installing parts. I had to pay $125 for it here but that's the only place I could find it so it beats waiting months.

12. LaiePoi

LaiePoi New Member

You can ask if they have punisher stamped ones if interested. When I ordered mine Dan asked if I wanted the punisher one because they had some coming in and that was only about 2 weeks ago. I stuck with the spider logo tho

13. LaiePoi

LaiePoi New Member

14. niteglock

niteglock New Member

That's the only place I found mine at too. I bought mine when the had 27 left. About a month ago. Actually right after the re election of the jackass.

15. niteglock

niteglock New Member

The hard part was finding a 1/7 twist mid length A2 style spikes upper. But I found one a guy had posted on a website from Texas for 509.00. Got lucky because that was harder to find than the lower. Now I'm just trying to stop myself from upgrading it. I keep seeing all that tacticool crap that I would never have a legitemate reason to put on my rifle. But I love the way it looks with all that stuff.

16. 1911love

1911love New Member

Laie:
    Thanks man. I'm still outta luck though. I want the pirate one with bullet markings and the paint fill. I have some M&P 15 stripped lowers, but 1) I want to save them and 2) They have a high shelf. The low shelf, looks, and it's made in FL is what drew me to Spike's. Any ideas? I want to build soon so I can start saving for a RDIAS. I was orig going to buy a complete top tier rifle, but after reading what members said here I'm going to build. Thanks all for the help!

17. LaiePoi

LaiePoi New Member

Yeah I pretty much told myself I was gonna just build the rifle and keep it basic and now I have pretty much everything you can put on an ar15 (light, laser, grip pod, Troy battlesights, aimpoint optic, bad lever, MS3 sling, rail covers) and now thinking about getting the badass safety selector because the current one feel pretty sloppy. So needless to say you are not alone haha

18. LaiePoi

LaiePoi New Member

You can do paint fill yourself easily if you wanna save a little dough. There are YouTube vids on how to DIY. I was also gonna buy a complete AR from a reputable company but after reading forums and doing some research online I decided it better to assemble it myself so I have all the parts I want without having to keep swapping things out all the time. Problem is, its so hard to find the quality parts INSTOCK but luckily I was able to get pretty much everything I wanted except the BCM BCG but the Noveske BCG shouldn't be too shabby. I wanted to get the A-DAC-F lower from AXTS Weapons Systems because of the awesome features it has (ambi bolt catch integrated into mag release button, tensioning screw, short throw 45deg compatible safety selector markings) that are not seen on most other lowers but their customer service said they stopped machining them for now because of the high demand for their billet lower (which is pretty awesome too but at high cost-$450). So they said it will be at least 6 mos till they start making more of the forged ones. The Spikes lower is what I wanted and got though I just saw the AXTS lowers after just looking around online. Are the RDIAS legal in everywhere? I know they are $10k+ but how much is it to be registered and is it annual or one time reg stamp?

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

20. 1911love

1911love New Member

I think the RDIAS are legal in about 35 states. One time tax stamp of $200. I'm planning on this route versus a receiver bc I can put it in a modern ar and don't have to worry about the expensive receiver breaking. I'm new to NFA, no stamps yet, so if anyone with more exp advises against a RDIAS please say so and why.