Dummy rounds that cycle?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by navysully, Apr 6, 2012.

1. navysully

navysully New Member

Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried the google machine already with not very good results.

Does anyone make dummy rounds that actually cycle with no noise? Particularly I am looking for 45 and 223.

Thanks for the help in advance!

2. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

The only way i'm aware of to make a gun cycle without real ammo is to install a special block on the end of the muzzle and fire blanks through it. Definitely not quiet though.

3. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

In a revolver, sure, but not in a gas powered or blowback operated semi auto.

Tack

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Conventional self loading firearms (automatics) operate either by tapping off gasses from a fired cartridge, recoil from the round firing, or having the fired case blown back from the gasses of a fired round.

In all of them, a cartridge must fire to power the weapon into reloading itself. Of course, bolt, pump, and lever action firearms are operated by human muscle power.

A dummy cartridge, or snap cap, does not fire, so produces none of the energy needed to cycle the firearm.

The only exceptions that would come to mind are rather exotic externally powered gatling guns or cannon, such as the Hughes 25mm Chain Gun in the Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle.