Dumbest gun deal you've ever done.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by txpossum, May 8, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

What's the dumbest gun deal you've ever done? What are you still kicking yourself for years later?

I've made some good deals in my life, but . . . I've also done some things -- sold, traded, or failed to buy certain guns-- that, when thinking about it today, still make me cringe.

I think the one I feel the worst about occurred about 30 years ago, when, being young and stupid, traded a Smith and Wesson Model 41 (with both the r5" barrel and the 7.5" barrel) for . . . a Ruger Security Six .357.

I know. I know.

Anybody else willing to fess' up?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

No way.....

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Oh, common'. Don't be a wimp.

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

This includes those dumb purchases you have made, too. But I'm still not sharing.

5. txpossum

txpossum New Member

And here I opened up to you. I feel so . . . used.

6. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

I bought a Taurus judge.....,

7. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I passed on a near mint condition S&W 66 for $450 and by the time I went back to get it, it was gone. Ended up buying a new 686 for more recently to scratch the .357 itch.

8. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Me too. Guilty. Bought the Judge, Then I sold it a month later for a profit.

Sold my L1A1....

9. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Sold my Marlin camp rifle in 45 acp, to buy something else I don't even remember :eek:

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I traded a Stainless Para-Ordinance P10-45 to get a 6 inch S&W 586. Both were in beautiful condition. I am not sorry for getting the 586. I just wish I had kept the Para too. I love the S&W. And I almost never see one for sale.

11. txpossum

txpossum New Member

So far I think I still hold the title for worst deal. Somebody out there make me feel better.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Young, on hard times, needed money. Sold a Madsen M47 rifle in unissued condition WITH the matching serial number bayonet to a guy for $60. He still owes me $50. That was in 1966.

The rifle had the metal Columbian crest inset into the stock, and was MADE with a recoil pad, muzzle brake, fully adjustable rear sight- sweet little bolt action 30-06. Had fired 10 rounds through it.

13. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I believe it was Winston Churchill that said: Those men who can admit their mistakes are endowed with large wangs. They are unapologetic in their character and composure. Also, they have the largest wangs.

Most of my mistakes have been passing up good deals because I thought they'd be around longer. The $300 Gibbs extreme II (enfield re-chambered to .308 win) carbine was one that I still kick myself over. Gibbs doesn't exist anymore and the rifles, if you can find them run north of 650. Its not a spectacular rifle or even really popular, its just weird and cool. I still want it but I think that ship sailed years ago.

Worst flop: The first rifle I bought using my dealers license was a Mossberg 30-06. Stop laughing. I sat on that glorified paper weight for 3 years before I sold it at a loss.

14. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

When I sold MY 586 with a 6" bbl. It was years ago, it was the first handgun I ever bought and I wish I still had it.:mad:

See Rick1967's avatar.

15. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

K, thats pretty horrible. I can say that ive never let go of a firearm and regretted it later. that is the worst. condolences.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Passed on a minty-like model 29 with beautiful fully checkered wrap around target style grips. $500. Just a couple weeks ago. With holster, speed loaders, and 50 rounds.

And here I am, been desperately wanting to bring a Smith wheel gun back into the home...

17. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

I will share...I have two that intertwine, sort of. A few years back, my job was taking all of my time. I was not able to hunt deer and my Ruger .270 was collecting dust. I had a friend that needed a deet rifle and sold it to him very cheaply. Of course in time...i was ready to begin hunting again....have kicked my self every since....a coupe years back, I win a gun at a gun bash. It was a Ruger .17HMR. Stainless barrel, semi-auto, composite gray wood stock...beautiful...but I needed a deer rifle...ended up with a Remington 770 30.06. So instead of two nice firearms...I have one 770....kick myself regularly for this! (I know this is not a handgun situation but tragic nonetheless :)

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This might be the winner.

19. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Xdm40 given to my lawyer to cover tickets I didn't have money to pay...damn that lead foot

20. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Yep, I've sold a lot of guns I now regret . . . Series 70 Colts, now classic Smith and Wesson revolvers of all types, a Browning A-5, M-1, a Remington 700 in .308 configured for a sniper rifle (was bought by a member of the Arlington, Texas police SWAT team). . . you name it, I've let it slip through my hands.