Dumb question

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by AndyRexia, Nov 5, 2012.

1. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Like the title says. Are there kits for building a m14/m1a? I'd love to have one but cant afford one outright. I would like to be able to buy it in pieces and assemble it if possible. If possible, how difficult would it be? Thx in advance for any responses/suggestions.

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yes its possible but they cost almost as much as a complete m1a. Unless you are a class III ffl/manufacturer you can't own or build a m14. As to how hard it is-its actually pretty easy. Might require some wood working skills depending on your stock

3. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

I dont mind if it cost the same, just as long as I'm not paying it all at once. Im sorry, I wasnt clear. I meant a semi m14 (if there is such a thing). I dont know much about them but I want one and I want to learn. Where would be a good site for the parts?

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Springfield arms is where I get mine. The kits are all one package. A semi m14 IS a m1a.

5. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Ok ty. I was looking at Smith Enterprises Inc. They sell individual parts which would help with expense. I guess I need a list of every part I would need to build an m1a from the ground up. I cant afford to buy one of the kits all at once either.

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya they are a good company. I can build one but I'm not even gonna try and list the parts. Ask bearwe, or m14rocks

7. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Ty for your help.

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Your welcome. His name is m14srock

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Start a bank account and put in $20 or whatever a week or month or pay period. If it is in the bank you wont be so tempted to tap it. You could even make an auto deposit. Hang a picture on your fridge and do a countdown. Maybe pick up an accessory on the side every so often.

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

It was not a dumb question. The only dumb questions are the ones we don't ask.

11. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

This was not a dumb question but trust me I have been asked some dumb questions before.

12. hq357

hq357 New Member

What kind of stock? Tactical, bullpup, presicion, wood?

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

the most critical things are the reciever barrel and bolt.

you CAN get them seperate and have a good smith that knows how to barrel a m1a/m14 barrel it and using the bolt you should also have at the time set the headspace. so you need those three things as a minimum before seeking a smith to get em together.

after that its just parts. unlike an ar15 there really isnt a standard anymore for m1a parts. i would strongly recomend sourcing as much as possible from the same source and even then you may be facing fitting work

it can be done

14. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

So I ended up buying a Socom II from my boss. It wouldn't be my first choice for a M1A but he gave me to good of a deal. I'm getting rid of the synthetic stock and the rail system. I plan on putting a wood stock on it and making it look nice and classic. Where can I get good magazines? Preferably 20 rounders. I have 4 aftermarket magazines that aren't worth a damn. I've read good things about CMI mags. Anyone used these? I don't know what kind mine are, there are no markings.

15. hq357

hq357 New Member

Pictures please! :D

16. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1387280012.728516.jpg

The only picture I've taken of it so far.

17. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

So any recommendations on good magazines?