Dumb question

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Seth_A7X, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Seth_A7X

Seth_A7X New Member

Hey guys, this is going to be a dumb question, but here it goes.. I need to know how to install a swivel stud in the butstock of my 870. It's wood, if that helps. Do I need any special tools? Or would it be easier to bring it to a LGS and get one put in. If so, how much?
    Thanks

2. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

If you're handy with power tools and have something that will hold your stock upside down, it's pretty easy.

Decide where you want it. Mark that spot with a centre punch - make sure you centred the hole on the stock or your stud will end up off to one side.

There should be a "shoulder" on the stud. You need two drill bits - one that is 1/16 or so smaller than the part with threads on it (check the package, it should give you the bit size) and one that is the same diameter as the shoulder part near the swivel.

You want the shoulder to be slightly countersunk into the stock rather than sitting on top of a rounded wood surface; which would be ugly.

Put a piece of tape on the smaller drill bit as deep as the screw plus another 1/8" at least. You will drill down to the edge of the tape.

Put a small square along the bottom of the stock to guide your drill. You want this hole square to the surface of the wood. I find your eye will line up with the edge of the square and drill bit just fine and it will be square enuf. Now go ahead and drill the smaller hole to the correct depth.

Then use the bigger bit to drill a larger hole for the shoulder. This larger hole should be VERY SHALLOW. You can always go back and drill it out a wee bit more if the shoulder does not sit down on the stock as far as you like. You can't drill it shallower, so go slow.

If you drill the hole too small, you might split the stock when you screw in the swivel. If too big, it will not hold.

Use sharp drill bits. New - or close to it.

Drip some wax on the threads when you put the swivel in. It'll help cut into the wood and turn in nice and smooth.

That's how I do them, anyway.

Never done it before? Maybe get a scrap piece of large dowel and try it there first. You'll get the technique figured out where it don't matter and then go to the gunstock.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you don't have wax, a bar of soap will also act like a lubricant for the threads.

A pilot hole is required. Without one, the screw portion could create a crack.

The above suggestion of using a scrap piece of wood is a great idea.

4. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Remember,There is no such thing as a dumb question when it relates to guns.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Or anything else on this forum!

The only dumb question is the one not asked. Our levels of experience is varied. There are some things that some of the old timers forgot that the newcomers need to know.

6. Seth_A7X

Seth_A7X New Member

Thanks guys, can you do it with a regular drill or do you need a special bit?

7. vincent

vincent New Member

A bit made for wood will do it...:cool:

I'd also recommend putting a piece of masking tape over the area near, and over the hole before you drill. I did a sling mount for my 10/22 and didn't get a clean hole, small splinter came off when I pulled the bit out. It was hardly noticeable but I knew it was there and it drove me nuts. (I eventually re-finished the whole stock for a new color and sanded it out, but still...)

8. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

Is that a bag over your head? :)

9. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Why do you lick nuts?

10. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

Hahahahaha....... Jeez, you sound bushed already and you haven't even left.

11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Spit take!