"dumb" question from First Timer

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by horsefeathers, May 5, 2011.

1. horsefeathers

horsefeathers New Member

Hi - I'm new to FTF just got aboard a couple of days ago. I bought a Remington 700 .270 WSM rifle. I'm a newbie and never fired a rifle before. Need some advice. I bought a pack of 5 dummy cartridges from Borownells because I wanted to practice chambering a round in the bolt action. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!!!! Thanks!!!!! - Kevin

Attached Files:

2. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Keep a light coat of oil on it, other then that enjoy your new rifle, its a nice one.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

1. Buy ammo (real ammo)
    2. Find a safe range
    3. Shoot the snot out of 'er!

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Are you near Ft. Drum? A good guy I know is Army retired, but still works there as an armorer. He can help you. He has a thing for mid sized calibers. I think the water up there has him concerned right now.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Nice PM. Thanks! I hope I helped. Trigger time!!!!!

6. paulo57509

paulo57509 New Member

Are the dummy rounds you bought "snap-caps" or action proving dummies? If they're action proving dummies which don't have a spring loaded primer "cushion", don't pull the trigger on them.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Very nice rifle. Since you said you have never fired a rifle before, will mention a few things- do not mean to seem like I'm lecturing-

First, get some good hearing protection- muffs or foam plugs- learn how to use them, or be like us old farts, going around saying "Huh?" a lot. Get some shooting glasses. Use the eyes and ears when you shoot.

Next, READ the instructions that came with your rifle. If for whatever reason you do not HAVE instructions, go to the maker's website- you can probably download them.

When loading, do NOT place a cartridge in the chamber, and close the bolt. Rifles are made to load by picking up a cartridge from the magazine.

ALL GUNS ARE LOADED until YOU have checked it for yourself. Do not place your finger inside the trigger guard until the rifle is pointed at your target. Also known as "Keep yer booger hook off'n the bang switch!"

Many new high powered rifle shooters get the snot kicked out of them on the first shot. Direct result of holding the rifle loosely. If you PULL rifle snugly into your shoulder, it will push you, not kick. Failure to pull rifle in snug can also result in a nice cut over the right eye from the scope hitting you- usually right above the eye.

Enjoy your rifle, shoot safe and often. And welcome to FTF.

8. dropzone40

dropzone40 New Member

Make sure that you have the right cartridges. Some times all of the numbers can be confusing. The post before this one basically had a good amount covered. And also remember, that when it comes to entering the firearms hobby, there are no such things as dumb questions. The more you ask, the more you know, and the more you know, the safer it is, and the more fun it becomes.

9. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

Look at and try different shooting positions, they'll help you if you get into hunting.

10. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

NRA, National Rifle Association
    GOA, Gun Owners of America
    SAF, Second Amendment Foundation
    JPFO, Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership
    NYSRPA, New York State Rifle & Pistol Association

Join one of the above, or other firearms owner associations, and help us preserve your right to own that mighty fine rifle.

If you have not already done so, you may want to take a basic firearm safety class.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah, what he said.

Consider an NRA safety course, and take your concealed weapons

certification class at your local range. Get your CWP , CHL,or CCW

license. Generally, in most states, even if you don't carry, it loosens

purchasing restrictions.

Join the NRA. Our RKBA needs the membership of every shooter now.

And welcome to FTF. IMO, OP, not such a "dumb" Q...