Dumb newbie question

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by circa81, Jan 22, 2012.

1. circa81

circa81 New Member

If you fire a 38 special out of a 357 magnum revolver, do you always have to thumb cock the hammer between each shot? Same question for a 44 special out of a magnum revolver.

2. safedman

safedman New Member

Not a silly question at all. Answer is no.

3. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Only if you are firing from a single action revolver. If double action you don't have to cock the hammer.

4. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Whenever possible, before putting a round in the chamber that is not exactly the same as the round stamped into the side of the firearm, first check the Owner's Manual that came with the firearm to see if alternative rounds are approved. If the Manual is missing, Google it and you'll probably find a copy of the Owner's Manual on line.

Shooting 38 Special in a handgun stamped 357 Magnum is a common alternative set forth in the Owner's Manual for some handguns.

Shooting 357 Magnum in a handgun stamped 38 Special is not an alternative in any firearm that I am aware of and could cause serious injury or death.

READ THE OWNERS MANUAL

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As stated, no, unless you are shooting a single action revolver.

Single action revolver - a revolver in which the trigger performs one function, releasing the hammer.
    Double action revolver - a revolver in which the trigger performs two different functions, cocking the hammer and releasing the hammer.
    Double action only revolver - a revolver in which the trigger performs one function, cocking and releasing the hammer.

IMHO the term double action only is ridiculous.

Back to the original question...The energy of the cartridge has nothing to do with the loading/firing of the next cartridge.

6. mcb

mcb New Member

It does not matter.

One thing you may experience when firing double action with any round regardless of power if it has a hard primer you may have issues. The hammer does not travel back quite as far when firing double action as it does when you cock it manually. I encountered this with my Colt Trooper MKIII, previous owner had an action job done to make it smoother for DA shooting and it causes a headache with certain ammo.

7. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Didn't you believe the 20 answers you got on the other forum?

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Is my thinking right in that the energy of the cartridge DOES have something to do with the loading/firing of the next cartridge in semi-auto's? I know that's not the question here but I want to reinforce (or get corrected) in my knowledge.

9. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

You are correct, WIN-dy.

I too am not sure why the O/P is asking the question this way either.

Maybe it's a trick question? I don't know. Can't tell.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I believe he is just trying to learn. Maybe not familiar with the difference between single and double action.

11. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

The main advantage of using .38 special in a .357 mag, and/or .44 special in a .44 mag, REVOLVER is less recoil.

These two mags are really powerful, and if you are gun-shy, you might get flinch-itis from the magnum loads.

The .357 used to be an FBI gun, but they are using semi-auto's these days.

The .38 special used to be a police gun, but they are using glocks these days.

The .44 special was always an obscure round.

The .44 mag is a back-up gun for hunters, or for mountain hikers and campers. And one person in any backpack trip usually has one of these also. They work best against bears. Although generally on a backpack trip a .22LR is going to be more useful for providing small game for your supper.

Anyway, that is more than was asked about, but that's the whole story.

Pulling back the hammer in single-action mode just gives you more accuracy on your first shot, whether .38 or .357 or .44 or .44 mag.

12. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Maybe also not familiar with the difference between a revolver and a semi-auto as well.

13. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Never had this problem with any of my S&Ws. Good to know though.

14. mcb

mcb New Member

I'm a s&w guy also. I inherited the colt from an uncle, never shoot it.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Both of these revolvers are 44 magnums. Both will also fire .44 Special.

This is a double action S&W.
    double action.jpg
    You CAN thumb back the hammer, or just pull the trigger.

This is a single action Ruger.
    RugerSingleAction_001b.JPG
    Hammer must be cocked by thumb before firing.

The caliber has no bearing on this- it is the design of the firearm.

16. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Nope. Neither do you have to have an empty chamber under the hammer in a modern double action revolver.

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

C-3, what model is that Smith? A fixed sight 44 Mag? I have never seen one. Is that one of the newer versions?

18. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

What Mdl. N frame is the .44 Mag.? New to me. It looks like a Mdl. 58 with a .44 Mag barrel. That is interesting.:cool:

19. mcb

mcb New Member

The model 29, and 629 are n frame 44 mag. The 29 is Dirty Harry's gun, the 629 is a stainless version, and the 629 classic is same with full underlug.

Attached Files:

20. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

You do not have to manually cock the hammer if it is a double action revolver, but if it's a single action revolver you would have to regardless if there's a magnum or special cartridge in it.