dumb newb cleaning mistake...how to fix?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by CZ Newb, Sep 29, 2020.

1. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

So ive put about 1200rds thru my AR. Got a trigger installed and dude at the LGS called me out for the gun being dirty lol. So I finally getting around to doing the adult thing and learning to clean it.

So I find a nice tipton cleaning rod and I buy a jag and a brush.

Naturally I get home and the rod, which is for .17-.22 has a 5-40 female end and of course the jags etc are threaded for 8-32

Who even knew such a thing existed? why cant things be standardized?

Then i went to another store and bought another jag and brush thinking they were smaller. nope, they are 8-32 also

anyway, I went ahead and used the rod without a jag to push the patches thru and it was fine....but obviously i need to use the brush etc

please tell me they make a 5-40 to 8-32 adapter....?

why do they even sell such a rod if the jags etc then arent readily available?

edit. for future reference I answer my own question:

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Shot-Caliber-Thread-Adaptor-Takes/dp/B008PL7QDU

winds-of-change likes this.
  2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020

3. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

PS: Gunzilla is one of the best cleaners IMO... also non toxic and doesnt smell as bad
    For lube u can use almost any oil.. (ARs dont like the really thin gun oils like Remoil..)
    Hoppes pro7 cleaner is good too

I use 2 separate products for lubing and cleaning respectively.

Some cleaners advertise they also lube ( like gunzilla) some lubes advertise they also clean (like CLP)

Lubes advertised as cleaners never seem to clean properly.. cleaners advertised as also lubes never seem to lube properly.

BTW you can also use motor oil as a lube.
    And fill it into the little squirt bottles supplied with some kits (not all of those bottles are high enough a quality to retain it though.. so watch out)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    CZ Newb likes this.
  4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

CZ
    The reason they do that is so it is there products only that can be used with their other products.
    *Proprietary!

Only My Opinion! Steel Rods are not good for good guns. I know the military has used them for years. I did in the Army as well. But today I use Dewey Rods that are coated so they can not damage anything. I suggest buying one sized for the 223 cal.! The larger brushes and Tips will fit it for larger calibers. Also they have Ball Bearing Handles that turn when the Rod pushes the patch or Jag through the Bore. And they make complete contact with the Riflings (Lands and Grooves) as the Patch and Brush goes down through the Bore.
    *But be sure if you get one or a similar rod! Be sure you get a Rod long enough to clean the barrels of your other guns. For example if you purchased the Rod length only to clean your AR. If you had a 20" Hunting Rifle the Rod would be way too short. So if you do, be sure to get a longer Rod than what you need for your AR.
    The Rods run around $23.00 and all the standard tips and brushes will work well on the Rod.

Dewey Rods.jpg

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Sniper, I'll call BS on that.
    I've been using 1 piece Stainless Steel cleaning rod's on all of my firearm's for decades, and as you know most of my rifles have premium custom barrels on them.
    A steel cleaning rod will not damage the bore of any barrel unless you shove it into the bore without a patch holder or jag attached to it.

I do suggest using a bore guide on all firearms to keep from damaging / scratching the chamber or muzzle end of the barrel depending on how the barrel has to be cleaned.

CZ Newb and Sniper03 like this.
  6. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

Ends up I went back to the LGS, and got the other rod he had which is the basic 36" long ProShot rod. Makes more sense to just get that rod and keep the 8-32 jags etc that I already bought. (makes more sense than trying to also get a 5-40 to 8-32 adapter and end up with some janky setup.

Ill make another trip and take back the Tipton rod even though I like it better because of the bigger handle.

To add to the weirdness. I got to looking at the threads of the different jags etc at the LGS. They were mostly "KleenBore" brand. So, yes, the .17 brush was indeed 5-40 threads. The .22 jag which i had already bought was 8-32 threads so I kept it. So far so good.

But the .223/5.56 brush was 8-36 threads!! wtf? needless to say, the 8-36 wont work with the 8-32 rod. (I tried it before I left the store) Weirdola.

All I wanted to do was shoot some targets and now ill end up being some sort of half *** mechanic too. (apologies to Robert Shaw of Jaws fame)

primer1 likes this.
  7. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

No big deal. I have not seen a 5-40 to 8-32 adapter but you hardly need one. Use the thinner rod with a jag and a larger patch. Use another (new) caliber correct rod for brushing. I don’t like changing tips on the same rod during cleaning, and neither should you :)

CZ Newb likes this.
  8. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

yeah so far the only actual end i have laid eyes on for the .17-.22 rod is a .17 jag. I COULD use it with the Tipton rod just for patches. Hell, I ran like 50 patches last night with no jag at all and it worked ok lol

9. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

The jag is only to prevent the patch from slipping off and possibly jamming the rod.
    Patches alone will leave some fouling in the bore. Even 50 of them. Pass a wet brush again and see how dirty the next patch comes out.

CZ Newb likes this.
  10. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

1200 rounds, wow.... once you get to cleaning it you’ll wish you could kick your own a** but on the bright side it’ll make you want to never do that again

CZ Newb likes this.
  11. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

8/32 has been pretty much the standard threading for most cleaning rods, brushes and jags except .17 equipment which is 5/40 (thus your rod, being .17-.22 is 5/40). 8/36 seems to be growing in popularity due to it being sort of proprietary. Ya just gotta read the labels.

Running patches through a .22 cal bore on a .17 rod with no jag will likely only give marginal effectiveness unless using oversized patches.

Caveman Jim, primer1 and Rifling82 like this.
  12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I use steel, one piece rods.

If your jag doesn't fit properly, wet a patch and wrap it around a well used phosphor-bronze brush.

CZ Newb and alsaqr like this.
  13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I went through the same crap when I bought a 17 hmr. Bought the only 17 rod and brush they had in the store (no thread types printed on either package). Different threads. Not to mention the guy overcharged me twice, as he he rang up the purchase. I returned them when I figured out at home they didn't match (35 minute drive), and they wanted to make it right via store credit. Not. I got my money back and never returned.

Caveman Jim and CZ Newb like this.
  14. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

I never threw out a worn out brush. When they get too small I use them with a wet patch on whatever bore it will fit. The brush with patch cleans a lot better than a jagged patch. I did see the cleaning rod adapters somewhere by Hoppes in a 2 pack.

CZ Newb likes this.
  15. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

yeah I realize this. At home last night though that was the only option I had since I didnt have a brush that fit (nor a jag lol)

So I passed patch after patch thru etc. I realized of course that a brush would break off plenty more of it.

Sooo I got it to whatever point of cleanliness it was last night...which was still worlds better than not being cleaned at all. I went to the range today and, yes, the groupings were quite a bit tighter. No massive flyers etc.

So today I got most of my ducks in a row and I will clean it more tonight with actual brushes etc.

Rifling82 likes this.
  16. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Rural king sells a bushmaster ar kit for about 8 bucks. Complete wit oil and cleaner, brushes, plus bore squeegees if you'd rather for I think 4 different calibers.

That said I only brush a rifle bore or pistol bore for that matter about twice a year.

bluez and CZ Newb like this.
  17. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

well it was only a matter of time because I just started shooting in July. I knew id have to learn to clean 'em eventually but those 1100-1200ish rds went pretty quickly.

All these little episodes are just part of the learning curve. 9 weeks ago I didnt know a 357 magnum from a 327 Chevy and I would have thought a 22 magnum was some kind of Malt Liquor.

Today i not only shot a few 1 MOA groups with my AR with plain jane store bought ammo, I also now know the difference between 5-40 and 8-32 threads on cleaning rods lol.

bluez likes this.
  18. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

im pretty much a "set it and forget it" guy but I can see myself cleaning the barrels fairly often and then maybe the bolt etc quarterly or whatever. Im the guy who has changed guitar strings like once every 2 years. Then again old guitar strings cause a SUBJECTIVE difference that one may or may not hear. A junked up barrel causes an OBJECTIVE difference that shows up on my targets lol

9mm pistol might get cleaned and forgotten about though since the ammo is near impossible to find at the moment

19. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

I’m saving 9mm ammo like it’s some kind of collector’s item. I’ll shoot the stuff I can reload for now. Are you actually finding 5.56 ammo? Haven’t seen much of that lately.

PeeJay1313, Ghost1958 and CZ Newb like this.
  20. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

buying it from targetsportsusa when its available and also at the local Dunhams.

Dunhams had some Winchester 223 and some wolf steel 223 today and I got 2 boxes of each. Most likely ill drop by tomorrow and get 2 more of each lol. Thats the world we live in for now

the first gun I bought was a 9mm pistol, then the AR. After I started realizing the ammo situation I bought an AR style 22 and a 22 pistol lol. So im shooting mostly 22 stuff right now but also 223/556. 9mm is on hold at the moment

bluez and Rifling82 like this.