dumb enfield question

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by mountainman13, Jul 13, 2012.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

As I was going through my number 4 mk 1 today I noticed it didn't have the firing pin set screw. It has clearly not been there for years. I have a hard time seeing any issue with shooting the gun without it. Any experienced input?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Is it really that dumb a question? Lol

3. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I'm guessing its more along the lines of no one is really sure and doesn't want to comment especially since it could be a safety issue? So no it is certainly not a dumb question. Personally, I would get a replacement. I'm guessing it can't cost much. It might even match a common tread size on a screw you could cut to fit but there's no telling. Those Brits had some odd thread sizes. One thing about those old military rifles, if something's there it's there for a reason.

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

There are no dumb questions. I have however, from time to time, seen some dumb answers to questions.

With firearms, always err on the side of safety. That gun has no love of you, or anything else. It would just assume kill you as sit comfortably in the safe.

5. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I'm not seeing a set screw on mine at all. Where is it located?

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Ah, I see it now. duh.:eek:

8. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

The weapon is an inanimate object with no love -nor will to harm anyone- of its own whatsoever.

I do agree to err on the side of safety.

If you like,I'll ask my gunsmith buddy and see what he has to say, if you don't have one of your own.:)

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'll probably pick one up. I need to order a rear sight anyway. I did go ahead and take it to the range. I had good primer hits on all 5 rounds. Problem I didn't catch was my extractor is all chewed up and there is a Burr in the chamber. I'm going to do a slight Polish on the chamber and try to re-work the extractor but I will probably have to replace it. All in all I'm happy with it I only paid $100 after all.

10. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

The Enfeild rifle was probably the best bolt action battle rifle ever made.

Enjoy.