Duh!

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by txpossum, Aug 26, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I have a modest amount of prepping supplies -- food, ammo, batteries, etc. -- but the other day I realized something. I was planning what to add next, and thinking of things like solar powered radios and generators, when I realized something. While thinking about the exotic, I forgot the basics -- in this case, something as simple as nails. I didn't have many. Or screws. Or duct tape.

So now, whenever I go to the local hardware or fixit store, I stick in an extra box of nails, or roll of tape, or cable ties, or something we tend to take for granted, but would sorely miss if we couldn't run down to the store to get more.

Any more examples y'all can think of?

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

You prep? According to one of our resident liberals preppers are racist. He compared preppers to the black racist that works for the government and wants to kill whites. Shame on you. :D

3. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

I feel like toilet paper would be something sorely missed when you can't run to the store for more. All that food ya eat's gonna come back out and i don't think most people want to be using a corncob like the olden days. Or any other type of paper for that matter.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My wife always buys stuff long before we run out. Just out of curiosity I counted the toilet paper. Counting what is on the dispenser in the bathroom we have 54 rolls! My garage is really stocked with stuff. I could build a shed out of scraps.

5. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

A hammer and screwdriver.

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

To the preppers who hoard canned food, keep a few manual can openers in the pantry.

7. KingGlamis

KingGlamis New Member

Duct tape is a really good idea. I have some, but not "extra." Have lots of nails, screws, nuts, bolts, cable ties, rope, etc.

A good point of this thread is to decide what you will need and add it to your supplies a bit at a time as you can. Water is the simplest supply of them all and I add 2-4 gallons per week to my supply. You never really know what will be "enough" of any of this stuff when the SHTF.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Not offhand, but I'm sure the media can further feed your fear,

and, short of 22LR, somebody will have whatever else you're

prodded to buy...

9. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

Diaper/baby wipes -- Can be used as TP , clean you body with ( save water for drinking & cooking ) , clean wounds . BTW also keep your skin as baby smooth as ever..... lol Also if they get wet or dry out , still usable try that with wet TP .......LOL Mickey

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Lot of things I can substitute for, or work around.

Salt I cannot substitute for or work around. Cheap, does not spoil, thousands of uses.

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Probably most of what is in a hardware store falls into the useful/would be sorely missed category. Some things like hammers you just buy once, and done, others are consumables. You'd drive yourself crazy trying to collect everything you MIGHT need.
    As for duct tape, I don't have much need for it. One of the more useless items man has invented. It's so sticky that when it sticks to something (meaning something you don't want it to, or are not ready for it to stick to), it won't come off. When you desperately need it to stick to something, (meaning that something is about to fall on your foot), it refuses to stick. In addition, if you leave that crap for any length of time, and need to get it off, good luck. Nothing short of Nitric acid will do the job.

12. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Twofer................

My mother found and gave me my fathers old hatchet with the hammer head. That thing went to hell and back. Working for Texaco back in the 40's he used it to build board roads..........

13. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I thought I WAS the resident liberal. But, as I like to say, I'm a conservative's worst nightmare -- an ARMED liberal.

14. txpossum

txpossum New Member

My wife started couponing a while back, so we usually have a fair supply of toilet paper, but nothing that would last a zombie apocalypse. An alternative would be one of those pump up garden sprayers. Just hose down once the business is done. We have one. It also makes a decent emergency shower.

15. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I have several of the l lb. boxes, but every so often I add another. Also pepper. Also tabasco sauce --god knows what I would have to eat, and you can choke just about anything down with enough tabasco.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  16. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

That would work if you have a bunch of water like a lake or well that isn't likely to run out. I wouldn't want to be wasting my drinking water on my butt. Lol. You can only keep so much toilet paper though. I live in a house with 6 people and toilet paper goes quick! You can ration it out of course but you'll run pretty quick. I wonder what a year supply of tp looks like...

17. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Lucky that we have a couple of wells . . . one that we're hooked up to for house water, and an old one that went dry, but later filled back up. The main one is pretty deep, about 180 feet or so, but the old one is only about 60 feet down, and is possible to get water from it without electricity. The problem would be filtering the damn rust out of the water . Lot of iron ore. Also, there is a nice spring a couple of miles away that I know about.

18. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If we accept the scenario where most of the rioting and killing will happen in the first six to nine months of whatever tragedy triggers it, then prepping to survive alone or relatively alone is done for a one-year period. After that, people will look for others with which to communicate, trade, farm and flourish. At that point, anything you have that is an extra or duplicate to what you already have can be traded for items you now miss and for which you wish you would have better prepared. No one can possibly think of every single thing they will want or need and it would not be economically feasible to try to gather it all. But having an extra hammer, can opener or box of ammo will become the new barter items and will provide a currency to make everyone's life easier.

So this means no one should feel bad about buying three axes, a dozen rolls of duct tape or a 100lb bucket of nails. Someone that has an alcohol still or seeds to start a garden will be willing to trade! There will always be a need for it somewhere and it will fill in the holes we didn't plan for.

19. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I believe a Berkey Filtration System will filter out rust, along with a bunch of VOCs. If it can do stagnant ground water, a well with a bit of iron shouldn't be a problem.

20. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

I don't prep, but if I did...one of the things I would invest in is a well with a hand pump. Also, seeds for gardening, jars for canning and I would learn how to cure meat via smoking, jerkey making etc.

If I lived in the country, I would have chickens and be thinking about a small pond to stock with catfish...big investment on some of those items.

Things to get....lumber, hand tools, fasteners of all types, bleach, salt, dog, oil lanterns, Just go primitive camping for about two weeks and you will come up with all sorts of ideas....especially if you replicate to some degree survivor man