Dueling Pistol??

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Trez, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

This is my first time in this section!.. :p I know next to nothing about black powder stuff, and was wondering what this pistol is..
    It was my dads and supposedly is a old dueling pistol, but people have told me everything from its just a well made kit, a replica, or that it could be a real dueling pistol.. So I thought id ask the forum...

It uses a percussion cap and from what I understand, the percussion cap didnt come out until around the end of when dueling was no longer popular, so usually dueling pistols were flintlocks. Most cap pistols of this style are target pistols, but those have rifled barrels and mines smoothbore. In fact, this pistol does adhere to all the rules for dueling...

The gun is marked "2" on the barrel and "action" (I dont know what you guys call that part of the gun...) but both dueling and target pistols usually came two to a set... Theres a "54" marked on the action, and proof marks on the barrel two "B<" and what looks like a backwards "feathery" cursive F.
    So do I have a "late" dueling pistol or a repro? Do you think its shootable, or should it be a wallhanger? What about finding out the caliber?
    How about cleaning it? Theres some surface rust in the bore that doesnt seem to bad, but how do I run a brush through the barrel when the back of the barrel is closed? Like I said im a noob on BP....:eek:

(You guys like pics, so theres gonna be a few....)

Attached Files:

2. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

More pics....

Attached Files:

3. Hawg

Hawg New Member

It's a French dueling pistol from around the 1850's. It might be worth a little bit. If it had it's mate and the cased accessories it would be worth a good bit. I wouldn't do any heavy cleaning especially to the outside. Clean the bore but be careful not to get any solvents anywhere else. Percussion caps came about in the 1830's.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  4. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone used a "hooked" breech until fairly recent. It is a very pretty piece of obvious quality. You could use a caliper to find out what the boar is, easy to do. I'd say she's a shooter and wall hanger.

5. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Hooked breeches were around in the 1750's.

6. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Great looking pistol!!!

7. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Really, I figured they were a fairly new thing. All the older guns I have seen have a tang and screw. That's good to know.

8. Hawg

Hawg New Member

It was more of a European thing at first. Not sure when it was first used here but Hawken used them on his rifles as far back as the 1820's.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Those are a couple of good looking pistolas..............

10. dgaf333

dgaf333 New Member

very cool guns

11. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

If this is a dueling pistol it will be a smooth bore. From what I see that is a Traveling Pistol not a Dueler. Nice gun.;)

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Nice, fer sure. A classic representation and an asset to anyone's collection. And if you argue with me I'll slap you with a mitten and have seconds on the apple pie, or something like that.

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

It is a smoothbore, and seems adheres to all the rules of dueling.. Whats a "traveling" pistol?

14. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Men who rode in stages in Europe often carried a pair or cased set of loaded pistols. These guns are often confused with the dueling pistol. I notice your pistol has a rear sight. Most of the deuling pistols I have seen only had front sights.:)

15. KAB

KAB New Member

Interesting

Nice gun Trez ,
    Interesting it is smoothbore and has a rear sight too . But then again , so did muskets .
    Looks alot like a MANG Target Pistol too .
    Whatever it be , it's very cool , congrats :D