Duct tape damage

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Paltik, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Paltik

Paltik New Member

I was assigned overseas for several years and left my rifles with a friend. He duct-taped them together and put them in the back of his gun safe. When I retrieved my rifles, I found dried duct tape residue remaining on the barrels and finished wood stocks of several.

I sure hope the duct tape residue can come off without ruining the blueing of the steel or the finish of the stocks.

And suggestions?

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Try some Hoppes #9 solvent and or a penetrating oil like WD40. It works great for taking gummy stuff off and shouldn't hurt the stock or the bluing. Then thump your friend in the sack.

3. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Goo Gone. Soak it several times, then wipe. Re apply as necessary.

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I'll 2nd the Goo Gone ;) and I'll 2nd the thump in your friends sack too :cool:

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Goo Gone may remove certain finishes from wood. I'd try the WD40 first.

Then thump your friend in the sack. Twice.

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'd be afraid the Goo Gone would ruin the bluing finish on the gun.

7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I use WD40 to clean the hoses at work for my air supply. Its essentially highly refined kerosene, remove sticky stuff, oil, grease and you name it. It also protect well.

8. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I don't think Goo Gone will hurt the metal finish, but don't put it on the stock. You might try baby oil on the wood. Which leads me to wonder:
    If corn oil is made from crushed up corn, peanut oil is made from crushed up peanuts, sunflower seed oil is made from crushed up sunflower seeds, what is baby oil made from?

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Put the Goo Gone on the friends sack and make him clean the rifles...:p

10. Bushman

Bushman Member

Yup, WD40 for sure. Works well. Give it a little time and it'll come off without hurting any finishes, then use a little spray, all surface cleaner to get the WD40 off, if you need to.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

IMHO, one of the few good uses for WD-40 IS removing tape goo. Bluing is not paint- the outer layer of steel has been changed to black iron oxide. Neither WD 40 nor Goo Gone nor Goof Off should affect bluing- the last two MAY affect finish on a stock.

And use the stock to whack your friend in the sack. Repeatedly.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I myself would punch said FORMER friend in face and while he was KTFO I would take his pants off duct tape his balls to a bed post then go get a bucket of ice water and a canned air horn throw the water on him and then blow the horn and sit back and LMAO as he ripped all of his pubs off his nut sack.

Or bring his legs up into the fetal position and tape his balls to his feet and throw ice water on him.

13. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Ouch!! Note to self...if ever in Tango's company do NOT fall asleep!!

14. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The advise of WD40 is as good as you're going to get. It'll remove the tape glue residue without harming the finish.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Just kick your friend in the junk, once for each of us here that suggest the action!

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

+1, That includes the thump to the sack.

17. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I guess that requires everyone to chime in. I'm gonna vote kicking him in the baby maker, too.

I'm also going to vote for trying WD-40 before you use the powerhouse known as Goo Gone EXTREME!

18. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Just super glue his dick to his stomach.

19. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

That eliminates the idea of getting back at him using duck tape.

20. Paltik

Paltik New Member

Thanks for the WD40 recommendation, fellas. I'll get back to you and tell you how it works out.