duck call?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by icallshotgun88, Mar 4, 2014.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

new to duck hunting…
    never been

got a friend of a friend who is willing to take me…

he said to get a duck call and start practicing…

I'm reading a bit about it online, but i want someone to point me to a good duck call..

what separates a good duck call from a bad one?
    why are some $30 and why are some $115?
    i need a duck call 101 class..

2. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Take it from someone who has hunted ducks for over 40 years, duck calls be dam. The first thing you need to know is, What a Duck Sounds Like ........Ducks make several ranges of calls and include Quacks, whistles, cooing, grunts and yodels.

3. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Interesting question, looking forward to some responses. I have only duck hunted a couple of times myself. I have read and tried listening to tapes but I can never really tell from the tape to working the call if I am close. One old duck hunter said put the decoys out , strap the calls around my neck and leave them there, don’t touch them. However, I couldn’t leave well enough alone and just had to give them a try. Amazingly enough – it actually worked, they came in.

So I was visiting with another friend who is an avid duck hunter; he said just get the basic rhythm down and I would be fine. He said ducks are like people, dogs, cats, cows….all sound different in some degree. Ducks are no different. Ain’t saying that is right, just what I have taken from trying to figure it out.

4. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I have seen more Jr Commanders scare ducks away tooting on calls. Scout and find the ducks. People tend to over think duck hunting.

5. willshoum

willshoum New Member

There's a saying................

Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, or open it and prove beyond a ducks butt.......lol.................Decoys and the ways they are spread makes more of a diff. than a turkey blowing on a duck call. Besides a lot of dem ducks whistle and not go quack quack..............I hates to say it but the old man on duck dynasty has a purty good showing on youtube.................;)

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I probably kill as many ducks as anyone per hunting trip. I don't even own a duck call. I just put my blinds in places that ducks are likely to fly. I am sure there are occasions that a call will put more ducks in the pot but you will take far more ducks by being in the right place at the right time.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Or just get out there and be still

Now to set the mood:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(parents don't let your children see this one)
    [​IMG]

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I think I will just walk around like
    Elmer Fudd with Bugs and Daffy Duck...rabbit season, duck season etc.. For my duck call, I will just yell."quack quack" lol

9. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Yabutt...don't having calls make you look like a pro? Your right, like I said I have only been out just a few times; one time a guy was sitting in a lawn chair with his back to tall weeds wearing blue jeans and a drab grey shirt with a wood/blued gun and he was shooting ducks. True story. And I was geared up with all the goods and took two home.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I try not to let anyone see me with ducks. The bastards start looking for my truck on the side of the road.

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

A big pot of kidney beans produces good duck calls.