Dti vs Dpms lowers

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by dsmith84, Jan 21, 2010.

1. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

Is one better than the other? is there a difference? are they inferior to lets say a stag or s&w?

2. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

I have five lowers...two CMMG, M&P 15, R-Guns and a Rogio Arms...The only difference is the finish (The CMMG and the SW are great) and the nifty little logo on the Magwell. They all fit all of my uppers with no fitment problems.

I vote for the one who has the logo you like...just my .02

3. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I have both and as JD says, with today’s technology one forged lower receiver is as good as another. And I agree 100% they both are good receivers.

4. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

If you lined up a handful of forged lowers today, without seeing the rollmark (brand), about the only difference you might see is in coloration. Do some research and you'll find that there are about 4 major manufacturers of receivers, and a handful of smaller operations.

LMT = Lewis Machine and Tool = LMT, Lauer(old), DS Arms, PWA, Eagle, Knights Armament, Barrett, Bushmaster
    Lewis Machine & Tool Company :: www.lewismachine.net

CMT= Continental Machine and Tool = Stag, RRA, High Standard, Noveske (old), Century (current), Global Tactical, CLE, S&W, MGI (1st batch), Wilson Tactical, (some?) Colt, Ratworx
    Continental Machine Tool Company, Inc.
    Stag Arms - Worldwide Leader In AR Manufacturing (an individual corporation that was started by CMT)

LAR = some combination of the original owner's last initials = Grizzly, Bushmaster (L Prefix), Ameetech, (?)DPMS, CMMG, Double Star, Fulton, Spike's Tactical, Noveske (new)
    larmanufacturing.com - Home
    largrizzly.com - Home

MMS=Mega Machine Shop = Mega, Gunsmoke, Dalphon, POF (forged), Alexander Arms, Stinger, Spike's Tactical(old)
    Mega Machine Shop :: Tumwater Washington (new)

Plus several more proprietary and smaller operations.

(borrowed from another site)

There are a few minor differences between the brands, but nothing major. Most will be cosmetic, with a few brands doing a bit more machining than others. There will also be brands that tend to fit better with matching uppers from the same brand than with others.

But for the most part, any of them will work well for building a complete SUR.

Slo

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

A big plus one on the two previous posts.

Those two receivers are probably much closer to being twins then they are of being polar opposites.

If I held them behind my back, switched them around and gave you a view of each, you probably couldn't tell which was which.

Find the one you like the price on best and go with that one. Both are fine for a build purpose.

JD

6. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

7. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

what do you guys think?

8. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Pretty good prices for good products. If you have the money, I would look into a piston driven upper. They are clean, cool and smooth.
    I will tell you this though, when it comes to AR's one is never enough.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  9. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

well budget is a big concern im a cook i could normally not afford a rifle like this but my dad and i both bought our houses within the time frame of the first time home buyers tax credit so were waiting on our ammendments to come back as soon as i get my money i plan on placing my order my dads givin me about 200 to go on it its gonna cost about 730 or so but i want a chrome lined barrel and no a2 front sight ill fix it up as i go i was thinkin of adding accessories, optics of course and eventually a fail zero bolt carrier and piston kit i also got my fiancee talked into lettin me get an h&k 40 cal from Guns for Sale for 539 i hope they still have them on sale i wish the irs would hurry up